[comp.sys.laptops] Laptops with long battery life?

gooley@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (Markian "Party Mineral" Gooley) (04/24/91)

A neophyte's question:

Are there any laptops with a full-sized screen and keyboard that
also have long battery life?  What I'd like is something that can
run for more than the standard 3-4 hours and let me do text editing
or a little light programming; a hard disk wouldn't be necessary but
a floppy drive would help.  The "toy" machines that are more handhelds
than laptops simply won't do, although they seem to have good battery
life.  (By the way, what *is* it that eats so much power on these
machines?  The display?  The CPU?)

Mark.
gooley@cs.uiuc.edu

mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com (Michael Heyda) (04/25/91)

Try Aris Corp.  They are located in Chicago as a matter of fact.  They make(?)
a laptop that is a 286/12 with a 20MB hard disk, 2400 baud modem/9600
send fax, and VGA display.  For all this (modem included) they want $1,895.  An
excellent deal if they ever get the machine past FCC Class B requirments.  All
the laptop makers seem to be waiting in line at the FCC.

I was going to buy an Aris but they didn't come out in December like they said,
then they didn't come out in February like they said.  So, I bought a DataWorld
NB320, a 386SX/20.  I still think that the Aris is a great deal because they
toss in a lot of nice extras.  For example, the ROM BIOS is modem updgradeable.
When Aris comes out with a new ROM BIOS you give them a call on your modem and
they send you the new BIOS over the modem.  They also have modem diagnostics
tools.  As far as the battery life.... Aris claims 10 hours on "C" size
batteries!

					Mike

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steven M. Knapp) (05/07/91)

In article <28159B49.6904@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu>, gooley@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (Markian "Party Mineral" Gooley) writes:
>A neophyte's question:
>
>Are there any laptops with a full-sized screen and keyboard that
>also have long battery life?  What I'd like is something that can
>run for more than the standard 3-4 hours and let me do text editing
>or a little light programming; a hard disk wouldn't be necessary but
>a floppy drive would help.  The "toy" machines that are more handhelds
>than laptops simply won't do, although they seem to have good battery
>life.  (By the way, what *is* it that eats so much power on these
>machines?  The display?  The CPU?)

The original T1000 will meet simple needs..and it is real cheep!
Or get another laptop w/ a few extra B-packs.......My T1000SE w/ one spare pack
is good for over 4 hours...and switching batteries is real easy....it turns
itself off when the battery is through, I relpace the pack, and then I turn it
back on again...back right where I left off..

I know hard disks and lighted displays take alot of power....

				sTEVE