[comp.sys.laptops] Has anyone ever tried to open up a sealed removable battery pack

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (04/27/91)

Hi, Netters:

The battery pack of my T1000SE is dead.  Actually only one of cells inside
the pack is dead.  When I measure the voltage gives out by the battery
pack after "fully" charged, it is only 6 VDC instead of the usual 7.2 VDC.
However, before buying a new one, I am using the dead one since the machine
requires the presence of a battery in order to operate under the AC adaptor.

After I get a new battery pack, I would like to see if it is possible to
open up the dead pack to see if it is repairable.  However, since the pack
is a sealed unit, any attempt to open it may ruin the battery pack housing.
And if the housing is ruined, I will not be able to continue to use this
dead battery pack when I operate the machine with the AC adaptor.

(The plan is That whenever I have access to the AC outlet, I will use the
dead battery since I don't really care if it has memory effect as it is half
dead anyway.  And when I am away from AC outlet, then I will use my new
battery pack and use it until it is down to "zero" before the next recharge.)

So, if anyone has experimented with dismantling the battery pack, please
let me know.  Or, if you think it is not wise to tamper a sealed unit,
tell me also.  Thanx!

patrick wong
pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steven M. Knapp) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr27.011557.5896@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>So, if anyone has experimented with dismantling the battery pack, please
>let me know.  Or, if you think it is not wise to tamper a sealed unit,
>tell me also.  Thanx!

Yes I have had expirence taking "sealed" objects apart.(Not my BP tho') It
looks like it snaps together. Taking a thin screwdriver pry apart the obvious
joints. With a little paitence you should be able to get it apart in condition
enough to get it somewhat back together.
				sTEVE