[comp.sys.laptops] use as a terminal?

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) (05/06/91)

I was wondering if it is possible to plug in a notebook, via a
RS-232, for use as a terminal.  THe UNIX terminals here tend to have
messed up screens and sticky keyboards.  SO, can I just remove the
plug from the serial port of the terminal (a digital VT102), and put it
into my notebook?

If so, what software do I need to run as a terminal.

Thanks for the help.

Michael A. Schoen
schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu

nautilus@nuge113.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) (05/06/91)

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) writes:

>I was wondering if it is possible to plug in a notebook, via a
>RS-232, for use as a terminal.  THe UNIX terminals here tend to have
>messed up screens and sticky keyboards.  SO, can I just remove the
>plug from the serial port of the terminal (a digital VT102), and put it
>into my notebook?

Our VT102's are connected by datalink to the main campus networks by
standard telephone cable that connects to an RS-232 port.  My Bondwell
B200 is on that network with a 9600 baud datalink.  That's why I got it.

>If so, what software do I need to run as a terminal.

I use MSKermit 2.32A.

--
|John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
|Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (05/06/91)

In article <q#6g.dg@rpi.edu> nautilus@nuge113.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:

>I use MSKermit 2.32A.

The latest version is 3.10.  I think your version is at least 2 to 3 versions
old.  I use it on my laptop for occasional direct connection to the DEC
terminal server at 19,200 baud.

>--
>|John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
>|Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |
>|BITNet:   Nautilus@RPITSMTS|(paraphrased from S. Dorner) |a grain of salt.|

Patrick Wong

nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) (05/06/91)

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>The latest version is 3.10.  I think your version is at least 2 to 3 versions
>old.  I use it on my laptop for occasional direct connection to the DEC
>terminal server at 19,200 baud.

Don't tease me: where can I get the new version?  (I use this once because
I am pretty inertia-ridden when it comes to communications programs.)

--

kiravuo@vipunen.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.194805.869@husc3.harvard.edu> schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) writes:
>I was wondering if it is possible to plug in a notebook, via a
>RS-232, for use as a terminal.  THe UNIX terminals here tend to have
>messed up screens and sticky keyboards.  SO, can I just remove the
>plug from the serial port of the terminal (a digital VT102), and put it
>into my notebook?

It might be possible, but definetely check with your local people
first. Some terminals use RS-232, but some use RS-422 or RS-423,
like this terminal I am currently using. To plug my laptop to our
system I must use a RS-232/RS-422 converter.

I think that your local Computing center or whoever runs the
systems there might know more about yout setup than us in the
net. Ask them.

There is also a possibility of frying your laptop or the
communications chip inside. And since they are usually surface
mounted, your certified dealer might want to swap the whole
mother board. So be careful.

>If so, what software do I need to run as a terminal.

As mentioned, Kermit is one of the best terminal emulation
programs.
--
Timo Kiravuo, kiravuo@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Computer Center, Finland

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (05/07/91)

In article <wa6g9bh@rpi.edu> nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
>pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
>
>>The latest version is 3.10.  I think your version is at least 2 to 3 versions
>>old.  I use it on my laptop for occasional direct connection to the DEC
>>terminal server at 19,200 baud.
>
>Don't tease me: where can I get the new version?  (I use this once because
>I am pretty inertia-ridden when it comes to communications programs.)
>
>>Patrick Wong
>--

Kermit executable can be obtained by doing anonymous ftp to
watsun.cc.columbia.edu and the file is kermit/bin/msvibm.exe
I forgot to mention in my original mail that this latest version
(i.e., 3.10) can emulate a VT320 very nicely.