[comp.sys.laptops] Laptops and bicycles, are they compatible?

osler@ac.dal.ca (04/23/91)

   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
awkward and perhaps even dangerous.

   Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

   John Osler
   osler@ac.dal.ca

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/24/91)

In article <4524@ac.dal.ca> osler@ac.dal.ca writes:
>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.
>
>   Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   John Osler
>   osler@ac.dal.ca

This is how I carry my T1000SE in a Targus carrying case.
(Seen from behind)  I find it quite comfortable.
Just make sure your strap is reliable, and ride safely.
(A crash will damage it no matter what)
	     ___
	    /   \
	    |   |
	    \   /
	     | |
	  --\-----
	 /|  \   |\
	/ |   \  | \
	\ |    \ | /
	==|     \|==
	  |      /\
	  |      \ \
	  ------- \ \
	  \      / \/
	   ^^^^^^
	    OOOO
	     \/

marmen@bwdla31.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (04/24/91)

> In article <4524@ac.dal.ca> osler@ac.dal.ca writes:
>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.
>
>   Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   John Osler
>   osler@ac.dal.ca

Acquire a second-hand blue foam sleeping pad used by backpackers and
campers. A pair of tin snips will cut this material very easily.
With a little glue, you could construct a 5 sided sleeve of foam
to hold the laptop. This will allow you to carry the laptop in a daypack
on your back.
| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) (04/24/91)

In article <4524@ac.dal.ca> osler@ac.dal.ca writes:

>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.

I would suggest a backpack, since having it on your body would
absorb the road vibrations, while a two-strap backpack would
prevent it from moving around in front of you or getting in your way.

Scott
--
O-        /\
|\     /\/vv\                  _Insight from Oregon...Scott P. Nichols

rhoff@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Robert M. Hoff) (04/24/91)

I own a T1000SE as well, and have done virtually every stupid thing possible
to the poor thing.  I've dropped it, banged it, left it out in the sun.
I don't think commuting on a bicycle will harm it in the least, unless my
particular model is immortal.

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/24/91)

osler@ac.dal.ca writes:

>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.

I'd strap it to the handlebars, with the cover open of course, and mount
some kind of pointing device next to the brake handles.  That'll show those
yuppie scumbags with their car phones! :-)

kim39@husc9.harvard.edu (John Kim) (04/24/91)

In article <4524@ac.dal.ca> osler@ac.dal.ca writes:

>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.
>
>   Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   John Osler
>   osler@ac.dal.ca

I once carried a heavy Zenith laptop on my shoulder while
riding a 10-spped type bike.   Was awkward and dangerous, but possible.
It tended to slip down.   I think if you mount it directly
on a rack with just the carrying case for padding the vibration will
kill it eventually.   I also believe that if you can pack it
backpack style, your body will absorb the sharpness of all
the road shock so that your computer should not suffer at all unless
you fall off.   Try to get a medium-sized soft backpack that will
hold the laptop.   If the biking is intense, you might consider
a small frame backpack so that your back will receive more
ventilation during sweaty-biking.

IMHO, of course.
-Case Kim
Frozen Ghost

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (04/24/91)

Yes!  I can tell you from personal experience and as an avid cyclist.  Don't
strap it to your bike's rack directly.  If you have only floppy drives, one
good chuckhole would be enough to misallign the floppy drive (I had to do
two drives. FUN!) and I don't even want to mention a hard drive.  Socketed
chips, wire plugs, batteries all get damaged quickly.  If the machine is too
big to carry in a handlebar bag, the consider panniers for your rear rack
that let the machine hang inside soft suspended bags with banging against
framing or rubbing against screw heads.  (I lost a display to a prtruding
bolt head).  The point is that a bicycle frame takes a lot more shock and
vibration punishment than most people realize.  Your computer will not.

--
Jack Wiggins                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: jackw@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/07/91)

In article <4524@ac.dal.ca>, osler@ac.dal.ca writes:

>   I will soon begin commuting to university by bicycle. I am wondering
>whether the road vibrations would damage my laptop (a T1000SE) if I were
>to strap it to my bicycle rack. I've also thought about slinging the laptop,
>in its carrying case over my shoulder, but I think that might be quite
>awkward and perhaps even dangerous.

I have had a couple of problems w/ disks left in the drive during transport.
The head bumps into the disk and damages it. NOTE: this problem is deadly when
the drive is running because the head scratches the disk severly around the
whole thing. Otherwise, as long as I remove the disk, my T1000SE has been next
to bulletproof during travel. And after, just for the hell of it, taking it
apart, the innards look sturdy too.
					sTEVE

axel@avalanche.cs.tu-berlin.de (Axel Mahler) (05/08/91)

I have a CompuAdd-Companion (TI Travelmate 2000/Sharp PC6220) that
I carry occasionally with me when bike-commuting to my workplace. I prefer
carrying it in a small backpack cushioned by my sportswear :-). Works fine!
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk and strap a Laptop/Notebook on a bike rack.
The vibrations would probably kill even "heavy duty" PCs, let alone such fragile
little things as notebook computers.

Cheers, Axel.
Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin
E-Mail: axel@coma.cs.tu-berlin.de (axel@db0tui62.bitnet)