[comp.sys.laptops] Worrisome California hotel law

jamison@hobbes.Corp.Sun.COM (& Gray) (05/10/91)

I heard an interesting short piece on our local NPR affiliate, KQED-FM,
recently that made me think of the earlier discussions of travelling
with laptops in this newsgroup.

The commentator (apparently a lawyer who regularly comments on
legal affairs) told of a woman who checked into a Hyatt hotel
in San Francisco and checked $75,000 worth of jewelry in the
hotel safe.  The jewels were subsequently stolen from the safe,
but Hyatt was not required to reimburse her more than $500.

This is due to the little-known California Innkeeper's Law, passed
in the mid-1800's.  This law contains the following provisions:

1) If a hotel has a safe, and publicly displays the fact that it
is available for guests' use, they are only liable for items stolen
from guests' rooms to a maximum of $500.

2) If a guest's property is left in the hotel's safe and stolen
from there, the hotel is only only liable up to a maximum of
$500, UNLESS the guest had declared the value of the items
before they were placed in the safe, and that written declaration
was agreed to by the hotel.

3) If a hotel does NOT have a safe available for guests, they
are only liable for the value of property stolen from rooms up
to a maximum of $1000.

In this particular woman's case, she had had the jewels placed
in the safe, but did not present a written declaration of their
value and have the value agreed to by the hotel keeper.

Owners of expensive laptops travelling to or within California
probably should be aware of this law, and plan accordingly.
If you're worried about the theft of your travelling workstation,
leave it in the hotel safe and DECLARE ITS VALUE TO THE HOTELKEEPER.

				-- Jamie Gray
--
Jamison Gray, jamison@Eng.Sun.COM "Football is a mistake.  It combines
Sun Microsystems, M.S. 21-04      the two worst elements of American Life:

xiaoy@bullet.ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (05/10/91)

In article <JAMISON.91May9191917@hobbes.Corp.Sun.COM> jamison@hobbes.Corp.Sun.COM (& Gray) writes:

>Owners of expensive laptops travelling to or within California
>probably should be aware of this law, and plan accordingly.
>If you're worried about the theft of your travelling workstation,
>leave it in the hotel safe and DECLARE ITS VALUE TO THE HOTELKEEPER.
>
>				-- Jamie Gray
>--

	Assume you've got an AMEX and checked in a hotel that AMEX is
	honored, will that be okay?
				-- Cheap 1000SE owner