[comp.sys.laptops] Why so little variety?

ravi@xanadu.com (Ravi Pandya) (05/07/91)

With several dozen different 386sx notebooks out there, why are they
all almost identical? Why isn't some manufacturer getting the idea
that they should look for a niche that twenty other companies aren't
already going for? I can find essentially one machine which fits each
of my major requirements/desires, and none that meets them all:

OVER 10 Mb RAM -- only the Tandon (and its OEMs) does this, and only
Tandon uses *industry*standard* memory expansion that doesn't cost an
arm and a leg. I could expand it to 16Mb for one third the cost of 4Mb
for a Compaq LTE 386s (admittedly an extreme example). Are laptop
manufacturers going to have to learn all over again the sense of using
standard SIMMs instead of expensive proprietary schemes? I thought
we'd been through this once with the desktop manufacturers. Or are we
simply at the beginning of the formation of another de facto standard?
What might it turn out to be?

BUILT-IN POINTING DEVICE -- only the Olivetti, with its touch pad.
Everyone is touting 386sx notebooks as portable Windows machines, yet
no one is delivering them with a pointing device. The Microsoft/
Logitech alternative is ugly, awkward, and inconvenient. You have to
remove it when you close the case, and then you have another piece to
carry, along with a bunch of tangled cables. The laptop store down the
street has a tiny, very precise 1/4" trackball that would take up
maybe 0.5 cubic inches if it were built-in. The Outbound Mac portable
has the Isopoint, which I've found to be very useable, and you never
have to take your hands off the keyboard. Some manufacturer should
give these a try. I suspect they're all sitting on their hands waiting
to see what somebody else does, and whether it sells. That somebody
else may make a pile of money.

EXTERNAL FLOPPY -- only the Commax Ultrathin. Of all the 386sx
notebooks, it is by far the lightest (4 lbs), and smallest (8.25" x
10.25" x 1.25"). An external floppy drive is included in the price. I
rarely need a floppy, and I'd be happy to leave the external drive on
my desk and carry 2 lbs less under my arm. If the Commax could be
expanded beyond 4Mb, and had a coprocessor socket, I'd buy it
instantly. Isn't portability what it's all about? Or was the market
research on the Sharp 6220 so compelling that no one thinks they can
sell one without a built-in floppy? I suspect that there are simply
two segments - people who want everything in one box to carry around
all the time, and people who want to carry around as little as
possible. Doesn't it make sense to serve one market better, at the
expense of the other, and establish a niche? Furthermore, I suspect a
clever industrial designer could figure out how to make a detachable
floppy with a clamping connector so that it could be carried with the
main unit.

A 9600 baud MNP/v.42bis internal modem would also be nice -- I don't
know of anyone who offers that. However, I can stand to have an
external pocket modem, since I would have to be tethered to a phone
anyway.

I suspect I may end up going with the Tandon, since I can't get my
work done with less memory, and I can suffer with an awkward trackball
and some extra weight. On the other hand, I may just wait and see if
something better turns up...
	--ravi

	Ravi Pandya
	Xanadu Operating Company
	550 California Avenue
	Suite 101
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	415 856 4112 ext 122
	415 856 2251 fax
	ravi@xanadu.com

phr@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (05/07/91)

    OVER 10 Mb RAM -- only the Tandon (and its OEMs) does this, and only
    Tandon uses *industry*standard* memory expansion that doesn't cost an
    arm and a leg. I could expand it to 16Mb for one third the cost of 4Mb
    for a Compaq LTE 386s (admittedly an extreme example). Are laptop
    manufacturers going to have to learn all over again the sense of using
    standard SIMMs instead of expensive proprietary schemes? I thought

Check out the Dataworld machine advertised in the current laptop rags.
It uses standard simms (can take 16 meg), runs at 20 mhz, and uses
standard D-size 4AH nicads that don't cost an arm and a leg.  It's
the only such machine I know of to use standard batteries instead
of expensive proprietary schemes.  It does, however, have a floppy.

I believe that standard simms use more battery power than at least
some of the expensive memory modules used by some laptop vendors.
I really love my Toshiba T1000's ability to retain RAM data for
several weeks on a battery charge when the rest of the machine
is powered off.  (Configuring the battery-backed-up ram as a
ramdisk means never needing to access the floppy).  I don't know
of any 386 notebook computers with that feature except maybe
the T2000SX, which is very expensive.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.000748.18429@xanadu.com> ravi@xanadu.com (Ravi Pandya) writes:
>With several dozen different 386sx notebooks out there, why are they
>all almost identical? Why isn't some manufacturer getting the idea

Well, sometimes they *are* identical.  The DataWorld 386sx notbook
that is mentioned in a later article is basicly the Tandon laptop.

Companys such as Sharp, Sanyo, TI, Everex, CompuAdd, Zeos and others
sell only a couple different laptops.  There may only be four or five
truly unique 386sx notebooks on the market right now.  The others are
just relabed perhaps with some extra support or software.

>for a Compaq LTE 386s (admittedly an extreme example). Are laptop
>manufacturers going to have to learn all over again the sense of using
>standard SIMMs instead of expensive proprietary schemes? I thought
>we'd been through this once with the desktop manufacturers. Or are we
>simply at the beginning of the formation of another de facto standard?
>What might it turn out to be?

The PCMCIA / JEIDA memory card standard looks pretty good.  These are
the cards used in the Poquet PC and the HP-95LX.  They support RAM,
ROM, and other devices.  This could be the memory standard that
everyone will be using on all peronsal computers in 10 years.

>EXTERNAL FLOPPY -- only the Commax Ultrathin. Of all the 386sx
>notebooks, it is by far the lightest (4 lbs), and smallest (8.25" x
>10.25" x 1.25"). An external floppy drive is included in the price. I

The Spark Snap 1+1, Zenith Minisport HD, and Toshiba T1000XE also don't
have a floppy drive, and have just a hard drive or lots of RAM to cut
down on weight and size.

The three major handheld MS-DOS machines: the Atari Portfolio, Poquet PC
and the brand new Hewlett-Packet HP-95LX are all not much bigger than
a 3.5" floppy drive and of course have no built-in floppy.

>	Ravi Pandya
>	Xanadu Operating Company
>	550 California Avenue
>	Suite 101
>	Palo Alto, CA 94306
>	415 856 4112 ext 122
>	415 856 2251 fax
>	ravi@xanadu.com

Hey, what's the latest on Xanadu, any release dates? :-)
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.000748.18429@xanadu.com> ravi@xanadu.com (Ravi Pandya) writes:
>With several dozen different 386sx notebooks out there, why are they
>all almost identical? Why isn't some manufacturer getting the idea
>that they should look for a niche that twenty other companies aren't
>already going for? I can find essentially one machine which fits each
>of my major requirements/desires, and none that meets them all:
>
>OVER 10 Mb RAM -- only the Tandon (and its OEMs) does this, and only
>Tandon uses *industry*standard* memory expansion that doesn't cost an
>arm and a leg. I could expand it to 16Mb for one third the cost of 4Mb
>for a Compaq LTE 386s (admittedly an extreme example). Are laptop
>manufacturers going to have to learn all over again the sense of using
>standard SIMMs instead of expensive proprietary schemes? I thought
>we'd been through this once with the desktop manufacturers. Or are we
>simply at the beginning of the formation of another de facto standard?
>What might it turn out to be?

Right now, standard SIMMS are all DRAM, whereas the ultra-low power
portable computers use wither SRAM or pseudo-SRAM.  It would be nice if
SRAM or p-SRAM started appearing on standard SIMMs, since it would then
become more of an end-user commodity.  Of course the SIMM would have to be
slightly different, to keep people from frying their RAM or motherboards...

>BUILT-IN POINTING DEVICE -- only the Olivetti, with its touch pad.
>Everyone is touting 386sx notebooks as portable Windows machines, yet
>no one is delivering them with a pointing device. The Microsoft/
>Logitech alternative is ugly, awkward, and inconvenient. You have to
>remove it when you close the case, and then you have another piece to
>carry, along with a bunch of tangled cables. The laptop store down the
>street has a tiny, very precise 1/4" trackball that would take up
>maybe 0.5 cubic inches if it were built-in. The Outbound Mac portable
>has the Isopoint, which I've found to be very useable, and you never
>have to take your hands off the keyboard. Some manufacturer should
>give these a try. I suspect they're all sitting on their hands waiting
>to see what somebody else does, and whether it sells. That somebody
>else may make a pile of money.

There are a number of laptop computers with pointing devices built in.  THe
Portable Macintosh has a trackball built into it's keyboard.  There is a
GRID laptop with what they claim is an "improved" Isopoint(TM).  There are
also laptops with touchpads as pointing devices, such as the M100 and M200
from Psion, and I remember a laptop with a touchpad being described in
_great_ detail in Byte back in '84 or so.

>EXTERNAL FLOPPY -- only the Commax Ultrathin. Of all the 386sx
>notebooks, it is by far the lightest (4 lbs), and smallest (8.25" x
>10.25" x 1.25"). An external floppy drive is included in the price. I
>rarely need a floppy, and I'd be happy to leave the external drive on
>my desk and carry 2 lbs less under my arm. If the Commax could be
>expanded beyond 4Mb, and had a coprocessor socket, I'd buy it
>instantly. Isn't portability what it's all about? Or was the market
>research on the Sharp 6220 so compelling that no one thinks they can
>sell one without a built-in floppy? I suspect that there are simply
>two segments - people who want everything in one box to carry around
>all the time, and people who want to carry around as little as
>possible. Doesn't it make sense to serve one market better, at the
>expense of the other, and establish a niche? Furthermore, I suspect a
>clever industrial designer could figure out how to make a detachable
>floppy with a clamping connector so that it could be carried with the
>main unit.

I think that the current logic is that the '386 draws so much power that it
doesn't make sense to try to save a little power by eliminating the floppy
drive, and that anyone buying a '386 is a "power user" would would want a
floppy drive.  Personally, I agree with you -- I'd be happy to buy a
portable with nothing but a hard drive and an ethernet port and a fast
serial port for LapLinking.

>A 9600 baud MNP/v.42bis internal modem would also be nice -- I don't
>know of anyone who offers that. However, I can stand to have an
>external pocket modem, since I would have to be tethered to a phone
>anyway.
>
>I suspect I may end up going with the Tandon, since I can't get my
>work done with less memory, and I can suffer with an awkward trackball
>and some extra weight. On the other hand, I may just wait and see if
>something better turns up...
>	--ravi

IF you don't mind waiting, there should be some fantastic PenPoint and
PenWindows machines coming out over the next few months.  It's only money,
right?

- Laird Popkin, Thinking Machines

Connection Machine: Massively parallel supercomputer.  Also a cool black
cube with more blinking lights than you can shake a stick at.

pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (05/10/91)

> Check out the Dataworld machine advertised in the current laptop rags.

Um, the Dataworld machine is a Tandon OEM...

> It ... uses
> standard D-size 4AH nicads that don't cost an arm and a leg.  It's
> the only such machine I know of to use standard batteries instead
> of expensive proprietary schemes.

Um, according to the guy at Dataworld, they wanted it to use standard D-size
nicads, and you can use them if you don't mind real short battery life.  I
notice that you specified 4AH nicads -- are they really commonly available
and cheap?

phr@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (05/12/91)

To:
In article <17577@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) writes:

   > Check out the Dataworld machine advertised in the current laptop rags.

   Um, the Dataworld machine is a Tandon OEM...

If this means the Tandon also can use D nicads, that's great!

   > It ... uses
   > standard D-size 4AH nicads that don't cost an arm and a leg.  It's
   > the only such machine I know of to use standard batteries instead
   > of expensive proprietary schemes.

   Um, according to the guy at Dataworld, they wanted it to use standard D-size
   nicads, and you can use them if you don't mind real short battery life.  I
   notice that you specified 4AH nicads -- are they really commonly available
   and cheap?

"Standard" D-size nicads are really sub-C (1.2 AH) nicads in a D
size shell.  You can get 4AH D nicads at Radio Shack for about $8 each.
I believe 4.5AH and even 5AH D nicads are available but I'm not
sure or at what price.  I do know that 750 mAH AA nicads are
more than 5 times as expensive as 500maH ones though this may change.