[comp.sys.laptops] Toshiba 2000SX

molta@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/08/91)

I read in PC-Week where Toshiba had dropped their price on the T-2000
series by about $1700 down to around $3700.  Naturally, I would have
expected the mail-order market to reflect a somewhat comparable price
reduction, but people are still quoting street prices of around $3100.
Anyone have any insight on this?  Also, I'm wondering whether anyone
might care to speculate on why Toshiba seems to think they can charge
$1000's for extra memory on this machine?  I don't know about any of
you, but the convenience of a user-installable credit-card memory
system sure isn't worth that kind of money to me.  Is there a chance
that third parties might offer compatible expansion memory or is
this technology proprietary to Toshiba?

This is a nice machine, but who can afford it?

Dave Molta
University of North Texas

borsom@imokay.cmw.ltn.dec.com (Doug Borsom) (05/09/91)

Ads in the May 5, _New_York_Times_ list a price of $2500 for the 2000SX.
I didn't call to learn whether they really have the machine in stock.

I suspect that if you wait a couple weeks, the discounted price will
drop.  The Toshiba appears to be a very nice notebook PC, but there are a
lot of nice  notebook PCs, some of them running 20 mhz 386SX's,
shipping with 2 megs of ram, DOS, and other stuff for less than
the price of the 2000SX.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the pricing of the IBM
notebook.  I suspect that like  Toshiba and Compaq, IBM will also have
to drop their price.

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (05/09/91)

	There are many companies selling add-on memory for the Toshibas at far less than
what Toshiba wants for it!  One example (there are many others) is Elkco in North Grafton MA.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steven M. Knapp) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.085424.46600@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, molta@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>I don't know about any of
>you, but the convenience of a user-installable credit-card memory
>system sure isn't worth that kind of money to me.  Is there a chance
>that third parties might offer compatible expansion memory or is
>this technology proprietary to Toshiba?

Yes I agree the credit card thing is cute, but I do not need cute in a laptop.
Perhaps Toshiba feels that anyone who can afford the card is probably most
familar with credit cards?

Laptop Mag. has had many ads for 3rd party vendors of those cards...I believe
they were about 1/2 of what toshiba wanted. $500 of  2MB of T1000SE memory.
Toshiba wants $1000 for 2MB! The whole damm thing cost $1000.....no add on,
other than major ones (CPU, display..), should cost more than the device it is
adding on to!

I wish it was cheeper, the memory would be nice!

					sTEVE

pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (05/13/91)

> Laptop Mag. has had many ads for 3rd party vendors of those cards...I believe
> they were about 1/2 of what toshiba wanted. $500 of  2MB of T1000SE memory.
> Toshiba wants $1000 for 2MB!

Last time I checked, Toshiba memory (2MB) was about $650, and I've seen it as
low as $250-300 in ads in both PC Laptop and PC Sources...