[comp.sys.laptops] Tandy WP-2 laptop

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (05/11/91)

	In the quest for the cheapest, lightest laptop, one option is the
Tandy WP-2. It is NOT a MSDOS machine. It is just a word processor + comm
machine. It is light (3lbs), thin (1"), cheap ($350), has a real keyboard,
has spelling checker and thesaurus, runs on standard AA batteries, can take
an optional external floppy.
	It is not the perfect machine by any means, but if you just need to
type in text and do remote dialup while on the road, it is a cheap and
minimally bulky way to go.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...phri!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (05/13/91)

In article <1106@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	In the quest for the cheapest, lightest laptop, one option is the
>Tandy WP-2. It is NOT a MSDOS machine. It is just a word processor + comm
>machine. It is light (3lbs), thin (1"), cheap ($350), has a real keyboard,
>has spelling checker and thesaurus, runs on standard AA batteries, can take
>an optional external floppy.
>	It is not the perfect machine by any means, but if you just need to
>type in text and do remote dialup while on the road, it is a cheap and
>minimally bulky way to go.

I too was looking at this machine.  I like the physical aspect, but the
one I played with was impossibly slow to type on when inserting text--the
letters appeared about 1 or 2 per second.

I'd also recommend the Laser PC/4.  This too is not a DOS machine.  It runs
off 4 AA batteries for about 40 hours, weighs about 2 pounds, has a very
readable 4x40 screen, has 32K of static memory, and 2 meg of ROM with
various applications, such as a spelling checker, work processor, PC4->PC
link software, Lotus-like spreadsheet, BASIC, and various appointment/scheduler
type things.  All for $249.  My only nit with the machine is that the key-
board's feel takes some getting used to, but it's miles above anything on a
Portfolio or Boss/Wizard thing.  It's definitely touch-typable.  To get one
of these, you'll need to contact Laser directly--and I don't have their
number with me.  Oh, you also get some PC Tools software and all necessary
cables with the machine.

If I hadn't just gotten hooked on my $300 MiniSport, I'd still haul it around
with me; at 6 lbs and 3 hours of mattery life in the MiniSport, the PC4 may
yet see more life!!!

Aaron Wallace

priol@irisa.fr (Thierry Priol) (05/14/91)

From article <1106@rna.UUCP>, by dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o):

> 	In the quest for the cheapest, lightest laptop, one option is the
> Tandy WP-2. It is NOT a MSDOS machine. It is just a word processor + comm
> machine. It is light (3lbs), thin (1"), cheap ($350), has a real keyboard,
> has spelling checker and thesaurus, runs on standard AA batteries, can take
> an optional external floppy.
> 	It is not the perfect machine by any means, but if you just need to
> type in text and do remote dialup while on the road, it is a cheap and
> minimally bulky way to go.

Is it a new machine ?
--
Thierry PRIOL                                Phone:  99 36 20 00
IRISA / INRIA U.R. Rennes                    Fax:    99 38 38 32