[comp.sys.laptops] NEC Ul

ben@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.035137.28778@netcom.COM>, fiedler@netcom.COM (David Fiedler) writes:
>>You might want to look at the NEC Ultralight that DAK is selling heavily
>>discounted.
> I believe the NEC is 2 kilos (i.e. 4.4 pounds), not 2 pounds, but it IS a
> lot lighter than most other noteboooks.
Is it true that the UL is to be discontinued, or is already??
|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL            |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                |
|      VAX/VMS Systems                                                 |
|      Computer Center              Phone:(972)-4-292177 office        |
|      Technion IIT                 FAX:  (972)-4-236212               |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000                                             |

brian@king.csd.mot.com (05/14/91)

ben@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL writes:

>In article <1991May10.035137.28778@netcom.COM>, fiedler@netcom.COM (David Fiedler) writes:
>>>You might want to look at the NEC Ultralight that DAK is selling heavily
>>>discounted.
>> I believe the NEC is 2 kilos (i.e. 4.4 pounds), not 2 pounds, but it IS a
>> lot lighter than most other noteboooks.
>Is it true that the UL is to be discontinued, or is already??

It's still available from regular dealers for about $1500 (2MB silicon disk),
but it has been superceded by 286 and 386 versions.  Since the new versions
don't have ROM/RAM cards and have a regular hard disk instead of a silicon
disk, it's fair to say that the original UltraLite has been orphanned by NEC.
However, the new versions are barely luggable at 6+ pounds :-) and there is
a growing secondary market for the original model.

And now, for something completely different (my weekly promotion for the
UltraLite mailing list):

There is an unmoderated list for users of the original NEC UltraLite PC1701
and PC1702 computers.  Topics include general information, tips, techniques,
applications, experiences, and sources for hardware, software, accessories,
and information.  New subscribers will automatically receive digests of all
send mail to ultralite-list-request@csd.mot.com.  At present, requests are
handled by a human operator.  No particular format for request is required,
but please make sure that your full name is included somewhere in the message
or header.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division