[comp.sys.laptops] MiniSports out of the Woodwork!

jeff@eng.umd.edu (Jeffrey Frey) (05/11/91)

It's too bad it took Zenith so long to find the right price for the
MiniSport (i.e., $300-500 as opposed to the original $2K); they might
have sold a lot more a couple of years ago.  In my oipnion the 2MB MS
at $299 (zenith's last closeout price) is a far better buy than DAK's
Ultralite at $699, even though the UL has a much better screen.

Unfortunately Zenith has sold them all out.

Zenith does, however, have 2" disks.  If you have trouble getting them,
get your supplier (probably more a stationery or supply store than a
computer dealer) to contact Zenith.  Or maybe do it yourself.

The MS manual tells you how to deal wiht a Config.Sys or Autoexec.Bat
file ehil   while using DOS in ROM.  If you format all or part of the
memory you have above 640K as a RAMdisk (you HAVE to specify in SETUP
that you want RAMdisk, and how much; ) (and you HAVE to format it
by using the FORMAT command while in C:>) ....then put your autoexec
and config files on the RAMdisk, D:; ....then specify in SETUP that you
want the machine to boot up off the ROM (C:)....then it will FIRST
read the autoexec andconfig files from D:, and boot up from DOS in the ROM.

My MS had apparently been sitting in the warehouse so long its lithium
backup batteries had gone flat.  I got my replacements at Radio Shack.

Incidentally the manual says these batteries last 3 DAYS if the main
battery is dead or removed, and RAMdisk backup is set "on".  Has
anybody confirmed this?  I dread the thought of carrying pocketsful
of lithium batteries around if they really last such a short time.

Finally, I don't think you can include all of WP5 on 720K, but maybe you
can omit the spellchecker and some printer files, etc.  WP4.2 will
certainly fit with room to spare.  However, I use WordStar 5 which fits
into 720K with spell check, page preview, and four printer definition
files, or so.  Of course the preview is virtually worthless on the MS
with its CGTA and small screen....

Jeff

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May11.124740.11838@eng.umd.edu> jeff@eng.umd.edu (Jeffrey Frey) writes:
>It's too bad it took Zenith so long to find the right price for the
>MiniSport (i.e., $300-500 as opposed to the original $2K); they might
>have sold a lot more a couple of years ago.  In my oipnion the 2MB MS
>at $299 (zenith's last closeout price) is a far better buy than DAK's
>Ultralite at $699, even though the UL has a much better screen.

Yeh, but Zenith has *never* sold at a reasonable price.  I know; I've had
three Zenith "portables"--Z-171, Z-181, and Z-183--and all have been horribly
overpriced.  I've loved the reliability, screen, and keyboard; and their
software has generally been solid.  BUT--their predatory pricing, and generally
unresponsive customer service, has led me to decide my next portable may be
anything but a Zenith.  And this goes for my recommendations to clients, too.

>Zenith does, however, have 2" disks.  If you have trouble getting them,
>get your supplier (probably more a stationery or supply store than a
>computer dealer) to contact Zenith.  Or maybe do it yourself.

>Incidentally the manual says these batteries last 3 DAYS if the main
>battery is dead or removed, and RAMdisk backup is set "on".  Has
>anybody confirmed this?  I dread the thought of carrying pocketsful
>of lithium batteries around if they really last such a short time.

Don't worry about it.  If your main is dead, you can't change the lithiums.
And if it's live, then your lithiums should last the shelf life.

In closing, it's a shame.  Zenith has turned out so many DECENT products,
and screwed them with marketing and pricing--kinda like AT&T, to think of
it...
		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us