[comp.sys.laptops] laptops and connection to servers

carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty) (05/13/91)

I've read with interest this notes conference and got a vague idea of
laptops and their
use.I'm waiting to but our notebook DECpc 333.What I'd like is someone
who has used
laptops/notebook sis the following:

I won't have a NI card in the machine,but would like to copy files from
a server in
a pathworks environ.
What utilities would I need and if people have done similar( I'm sure
it's I'm pretty
ignorant of comms utilites)
Any other info would be most useful ie set ups ,versions of
utilities,baud rates,anything
that covers laptop serial connectivity.

 I hope this is not too vague

 Hugh Carty, carty@ayfis5.ayo.dec.com
                       carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty)

chaplin@keinstr.uucp (chaplin) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May13.145950.18102@hollie.rdg.dec.com> carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty) writes:
>I won't have a NI card in the machine,but would like to copy files from
>a server in
>a pathworks environ.
>What utilities would I need and if people have done similar( I'm sure
>it's I'm pretty
>ignorant of comms utilites)
>Any other info would be most useful ie set ups ,versions of
>utilities,baud rates,anything
>that covers laptop serial connectivity.
>
> I hope this is not too vague
>

> Hugh Carty, carty@ayfis5.ayo.dec.com
>                       carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty)

I connect my laptop to my Sun SPARCstation SLC with a serial cable and
use Kermit on both machines.  Kermit is a public domain communication
program which is widely available.  There is a new version of Kermit
out now for MS-DOS which I find to work quite well with the Kermit on
my Sun.  My laptop is a 20MHz 386 machine.  Communication seems very
reliable at speeds up to 19.2 Kbaud.  (Back when I had a Sun 3/80 I
could reliably run the link at 38.4 Kbaud.)

The Kermit on my Sun shows this rev information:
    C-Kermit, 4E(070) 29 Jan 88, 4.2 BSD

The Kermit on my laptop shows this rev information:
    IBM-PC MS-Kermit: 3.01 20 March 1990

I got the latest MS-Kermit from CompuServe, and the Sun C-Kermit was put
on our network by our system administrator.  Sorry I can't direct you to
Internet sources for these.  Perhaps someone else can help.
--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering | "There are two types of
chaplin@keinstr.uucp / CI$: 76307,3506           | people: those who divide