[comp.sys.laptops] Request for info on Laser PC-4 and Veridata Execulite

hinkle@vim.brl.mil (Gerald Hinkle ) (05/14/91)

Howdy out there!

I have been following c.s.laptops for a month or so, and I know
there's no FAQ list, so I'll tempt fate and ask about two machines.

First, someone mentioned they owned a Laser brand PC-4.  I saw this
machine a few months ago in a Pop. Science or Pop. Mechanics column.
Alas, the magazine had no contact point listing, and neither did the
recent poster.  Does anybody have this info?  Both articles mentioned
the need to deal with the manufacturer direct, so this info would be of
great help.  Any capsule reviews out there of this lightweight?

Second, anybody ever hear of/see/own a Veridata Execulite 386sx?
Saw an ad in some PC mag. for them.  I really like the size and weight-
11"x8.6"x1.4", 4.5 lbs ( without the external 1.44M floppy).  Cost is
steep- $2595 for a 1 meg RAM, 20M hard drive, and mouse pad module.
Any reviews out there?

I know these two machines are very different in power and use-
    I'm just slightly schizophrenic, and so am I.  :-)

    Many Thanx ahead of time,
    Gerry Hinkle <hinkle@vim.brl.mil, or whatever the header says>

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (05/15/91)

In article <716@aos.brl.mil> hinkle@vim.brl.mil (Gerald Hinkle ) writes:
>Howdy out there!
>
>I have been following c.s.laptops for a month or so, and I know
>there's no FAQ list, so I'll tempt fate and ask about two machines.

I can help with the PC-4!

>First, someone mentioned they owned a Laser brand PC-4.  I saw this
>machine a few months ago in a Pop. Science or Pop. Mechanics column.
>Alas, the magazine had no contact point listing, and neither did the
>recent poster.  Does anybody have this info?  Both articles mentioned
>the need to deal with the manufacturer direct, so this info would be of
>great help.  Any capsule reviews out there of this lightweight?

Yes, you'll need to contact Laser Computer (in Lake Zurich, IL) for info--
they only sell direct.  There was a review of it in a Computer Shopper
from March 91 (I think--it's the only one missing in our library, and it
was in no others...!)  E-mail me if this lead isn't enough--I'm sure I have
the phone # at home!

>Second, anybody ever hear of/see/own a Veridata Execulite 386sx?

Not me--but I like the stats!

Aaron Wallace

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.215459.13383@leland.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>In article <716@aos.brl.mil> hinkle@vim.brl.mil (Gerald Hinkle ) writes:
>>Howdy out there!
>>
>>I have been following c.s.laptops for a month or so, and I know
>>there's no FAQ list, so I'll tempt fate and ask about two machines.
>
>I can help with the PC-4!
>
>>First, someone mentioned they owned a Laser brand PC-4.  I saw this
>>machine a few months ago in a Pop. Science or Pop. Mechanics column.
>>Alas, the magazine had no contact point listing, and neither did the
>>recent poster.  Does anybody have this info?  Both articles mentioned
>>the need to deal with the manufacturer direct, so this info would be of
>>great help.  Any capsule reviews out there of this lightweight?
>
>Yes, you'll need to contact Laser Computer (in Lake Zurich, IL) for info--
>they only sell direct.  There was a review of it in a Computer Shopper
>from March 91 (I think--it's the only one missing in our library, and it
>was in no others...!)  E-mail me if this lead isn't enough--I'm sure I have
>the phone # at home!

I have seen the Laser PC 1, 2, 3, and 4 for sale in Sears, near their
PS/1's.  Even if Sears doesn't have the higher numbered ones in stock, you
should be able to get the address of the company.  That is, unless the
Laser PC you are talking about isn't the same Laser PC I've seen in Sears
occasionally for the last year or so, but it sounds just like it.

>Aaron Wallace

- Laird Popkin, Thinking Machines

Connection Machine: Massively parallel supercomputer.  Also a cool black
cube with more blinking lights than you can shake a stick at.

pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (05/21/91)

> Second, anybody ever hear of/see/own a Veridata Execulite 386sx?

I called and asked for more info, should get it today or tomorrow;
will post a summary if it looks good.