[comp.sys.laptops] IBM notebooks

nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) (05/20/91)

In the May 20, 1991 issue of TIME magazine, there is an article on
IBM and how its corner on the computer market is dwindling.

In it IBM's plans for revival are discussed.  One of which, to quote:

       ...Last week IBM upped the ante in a price war over workstations,
     [description for the computer-illiterate deleted], by slashing
     prices as much as 60%.  Anylists expect the company to make a similar
     move in personal computers next month.

I find myself wondering if this price decrease will affect their new
notebook (price: $3,800) and if it does, at what price would it be worth
it to buy IBM over TI or Zeos?

Any thoughts, comments, anecdotes???

Scott
--
O-        /\
|\     /\/vv\                  _Insight from Oregon...Scott P. Nichols

bcp1@ellis.uchicago.edu (bruce christian paul) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.061714.21939@en.ecn.purdue.edu> nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) writes:

>I find myself wondering if this price decrease will affect their new
>notebook (price: $3,800) and if it does, at what price would it be worth
>it to buy IBM over TI or Zeos?
>
>Any thoughts, comments, anecdotes???

I doubt it will affect the price of their other machines.  The reason
they dropped the price on the RS/6k is the HP Snake.  I true IBM
fashion, they are doing anything to keep market share.
bcp
--
Bruce Christian Paul             "If she had half a mind, you'd be about even.
1155 E. 60th Street    	                 ...You were a party to her innocence;