[comp.sys.laptops] UltraLite

jeff@eng.umd.edu (Jeffrey Frey) (03/07/91)

The problem with the original Ultralite is the absolute lack of nonvolatile
storage.  The Ultralite originally sold for around $2K (1M version discounted)
and was a short-trm hit becauase of its light weight and power per unit volume.
The display is pretty good (not VGA but comfortably bright).

Remember that all data and/or programs have to be stored on those RAMcards
which are volatile, i.e., lose their data when their built-in batteries run
down.  Whether this is a problem or not depends on use patterns.  DAK also
is offering nonvolatile ROMc
is offering nonvolatile ROM versions of some software but the pricess are
prety high.

The incremental $200 for an extra 1M of memory also seems high these days.

Basically, I don't trust volatile storage at all, and don't even trust
built-in HDs on laptops.  The former are battery-dependent and the latter
can be easily damaged, especizlly in a laptop.  My own preference is for
some kind of nonvolatile backup for any thin I may produce on the road,
e.g., a 3.5" or 2" floppy.

I notice the T1000SE is getting down to around $750 in NYC.  (I saw
the Japanese version for $700 in Tjokyo in January).  Perhaps Toshiba is
going to revamp the line and, in any case, the dollar has strengthened quite
a bit in the last few months.  Although it's bigger and heavier, the T1000SE
would seem to be a good bet for a modest portable wordprocessor.

Apologies for the egregious typos!  I know very little about vi, EMACS
is not available, and whever I try to correct an error whole paragraphs
disappear!

Jeff

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar7.135645.4632@eng.umd.edu> jeff@eng.umd.edu (Jeffrey Frey) writes:
>The problem with the original Ultralite is the absolute lack of nonvolatile
>storage.  ....

>Remember that all data and/or programs have to be stored on those RAMcards
>which are volatile, .....

>The incremental $200 for an extra 1M of memory also seems high these days.

Do the RAMcards used in the Ultralite conform to industrial RAMcard
"standards".  I learned sometime ago that many US and Japanese companies
formulated a RAMcard (or RAMdrive) standard to promote their wide use.
The Poqet uses the industrial "standard" RAMdrive.  1 M Poqet RANdrive
still costs around $500.  So if these RAMdrives are compatible, the
2 M Ultralite is a good buy just for the RAM alone.  Any comments?

>Basically, I don't trust volatile storage at all, and don't even trust
>built-in HDs on laptops.  The former are battery-dependent and the latter
>can be easily damaged, especizlly in a laptop.  ......

I have been using Toshiba T1200 and T1000 for more than 3 years and
Poqet almost a year, so far I have lost any data yet.  May be I am
just lucky.  I have not had a chance to use my backup discs yet.
The RAMdrive has its own battery.  My calculation indicates that
the battery life is about 6 months.  Howver, if they are in computer,
the main battery supplies the power.  I still have the original
battery in the RAMdrive which has been in use for one year.
The same is for the Toshiba's RAMdrive.

it23026@coral.micro.umn.edu (Pitt) (05/22/91)

Hi, I would like to buy the NEC UltraLite, but it seems it is a bit difficult to found out the price for this Laptops, I search from pc-week to computer shopper, also I would like how's its performance.

Thanks in advance.
---
K.K Pitt Cheang.

brian@grot.ca41.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) (05/22/91)

it23026@coral.micro.umn.edu (Pitt) writes:

>Hi, I would like to buy the NEC UltraLite, but it seems it is a bit difficult
>to found out the price for this Laptops, I search from pc-week to computer
>shopper, also I would like how's its performance.

If you're talking about the V30-based UltraLite with a 1MB or 2MB silicon
disk (and not the 286- and 386-based models with traditional hard disks),
they are selling for $699 (1MB) or $899 (2MB) at DAK, and were selling for
$749 (I think) for reconditioned 2MB units at IME Computer in Boston.
For more information, subscribe to the UltraLite mailing list.  Send any
kind of subscription request to:

  ultralite-list-request@csd.mot.com

You'll receive back issues that are simply chock full o' info.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division