[comp.sys.laptops] Damark 2400 Modem

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/08/91)

There have been numerous requests for me to re-post a recent article
of mine which I discussed the Damark 2400 modem. That article was not
a reall full review, but really some comments, instead of re-posting
that article, I'll post this full review of what I think of the Damark
2400 modem.

The modem is not manufactured by Damark, Damark is merely a catalog
marketing house who gets things at volume discounts and then puts
them intheir catalog. Sort of like DAK, but the lines of merchandise
are much more varied than DAK. The brand on my modem is "COM-CALL
TM-2400". The guarentee card lists TT Systems Corp. in Yonkers, NY.
The don't specifically claim to be the manufacturer, though.

Cost for the modem from Damark was $69.95 for the 2400 bps version
and $49.95 (I think) for the 1200 bps version. Since $70 is a decent
price for ANY 2400 bps modem, I opted for it. Tech Specs state that
it supports 2400, 1200 and 0-300 bps. AT compatable command set with
a 40 character buffer. Size is listed as W 2.2" x H 3" x D .80". As
you may imagine, it is rather small, about the size of a DB25 to
DB25 gender changer (just a little thicker). Weight is 4 oz, and power
is obtained from the telephone line. (VERY convenient!!)

OK, now that I have quoted the manual enough, let me express some
original comments.

So far, I like it. I can see that in the future, it will continue to
display it's usefullness in various situations. Example, you are
travelling. You take along the laptop and the COM-CALL TM-2400. With
access to any modular phone jack, you can instantly communicate. If
your laptop is charged up, no power connection at all would be
requiried at all since the TM-2400 gets its power from the phone
line.

There are a few things which I don't like. First of all is the
physical design. While the modem is advertised as being "perfect
for a laptop", it has a DB25 connector on it! It is my impression
that most laptops would have a DB9 connector for COM1 (like my
Tandy 1100FD does).

Secondly, I am having problems conecting with some modems at 2400 bps.
While I call at 2400, when the carrier is detected, the connection
will come up at 1200 bps. Very annoying, but I only call a finite
number of modems and I have identified which ones do not appear to
work with the TM-2400 at 2400 bps. (It is a minority, most do answer
just fine at 2400.)

As far as software goes, I have used the TM-2400 with both MS-Kermit
and the shareware version of Pro-Comm.

So bottom line, I recommend the COM-CALL TM-2400 modem if you have
a laptop and it doesn't have a built in modem. Also, if you need
a very portable modem for any PC, the TM-2400 shines there as well.

Happy communicating!

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/10/91)

I forgot to mention how to contact Damark if you're interested.

Damark Internation, Inc.
7101 Winnetka Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55428

(612) 531-0082
(800) 729-9000

Zack Sessions

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/20/91)

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:

>Cost for the modem from Damark was $69.95 for the 2400 bps version
>and $49.95 (I think) for the 1200 bps version. Since $70 is a decent
>price for ANY 2400 bps modem, I opted for it.

This information was out of date, slightly. The latest catalog shows
the 1200 bps modem for $29.95. A real decent price for ANY 1200 bps
modem!!

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

droms@sol (Ralph E. Droms) (03/24/91)

I ordered a Damark 2400 bps modem and it seems to work OK.  I don't
have call waiting, so I can't comment on the effect of call waiting on
the modem.  I've used the modem for both local and long distnace
calls, without noticing any noise problems.  It's certainly a
minimalist modem, and the lack of any external status indicators can
be annoying, but it's fine for use with my T1000.

--
- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (05/14/91)

Hello Zack,

After I read your article about Damark's 2400 bps modem, I started coveting
one instantly.  (I want to replace my vintage "real" Hayes 1200.)  When I
called Damark, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  I ordered
a catalog anyway; it should be here in 2 weeks.  I'm gonna use it with my
HP95LX -- what a combination!

Can you post the catalog number for the modem?

Many thanks.
--

Regards
Ray Depew

P.S.  Anbody wanna buy a vintage "real" Hayes 1200?

xiaoy@bullet.ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (05/15/91)

>called Damark, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  I ordered
>a catalog anyway; it should be here in 2 weeks.  I'm gonna use it with my
>HP95LX -- what a combination!
>
>Can you post the catalog number for the modem?

	Here you go:
	B-2566-162408
   (those dump operators only want to be database lookup programmes)

Xiao

graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) (05/15/91)

Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
isn't available from the serial port.

...Michael

crmeyer@nobbs.physics.ucsb.edu (05/17/91)

I purchased one of the Damark 2400 baud modems and promptly sent it back.
It was unable to connect to anything at 2400 baud (though it would work
at 1200 baud). It also does not have a speaker to give you any feedback.
Damark was also selling a 1200 Baud version for $29.00 (probably worth it).

                      +-----------------------------------+
                      |         Charles R. Meyer          |
                      |                                   |
                      | Internet: crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu |
                      | Bitnet:   crmeyer@voodoo          |
                      | HEPnet:   voodoo::crmeyer         |
                      +-----------------------------------+

xiaoy@bullet.ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (05/17/91)

In article <11328@hub.ucsb.edu> crmeyer@nobbs.physics.ucsb.edu writes:
>I purchased one of the Damark 2400 baud modems and promptly sent it back.
>It was unable to connect to anything at 2400 baud (though it would work
>at 1200 baud). It also does not have a speaker to give you any feedback.
>Damark was also selling a 1200 Baud version for $29.00 (probably worth it).

	Oh God! I already order one which is on the road!!!
    (When you return the product in case you don't like it, what credit
     you'll get back from Damark?)

Xiao

fledley@condor.mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (05/20/91)

In article <9105142341.AA28570@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu>, graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) writes:

|> Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
|> I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
|> isn't available from the serial port.
|>
|> ...Michael

Well- in the case of my palmtop (a Portfolio) the Damark $39 1200 baud
line-powered modem works fine.  It seems to support all the AT commands that
I use without any trouble.  It is small, light and cheap- I reccomend it as
an easy way to turn a palmtop into a small terminal.

------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------
      ___               | R. Mark Adams              | On cars:  "...if such a
     /  /               | Baylor College of Medicine |thing did exist, it would
    /  /_____  ______   | Department of Cell Biology |certainly be called an
   /   __   / / __  /   |                            |'isomobile' or an
  /  /  /  / / /_/ /    | fledley@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu   |'autokinesin'.  Never mix
 /__/  /__/ /  ___/     |                            |Greek and Latin."
           /  /         |  "Molecular Biologist in   |
          /__/          |         Training..."       |  -Goethe
------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (05/20/91)

In article <9105142341.AA28570@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
>I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
>isn't available from the serial port.

It depends on the modem.  Older battery-less modems leached their power
from the serial port, such as the Novation Parrot 1200.  The only way I
can get mine to work with my Psion handheld is to hook up a 9v battery
to the modem.  More recent battery-less modems leach power from the
phone line.  This is harder to do as apparently the voltage on phone
lines is much higher, varies quite a bit, and doesn't have much power
behind it.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (05/21/91)

In article <9105142341.AA28570@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu>,
graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) says:

>Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
>I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
>isn't available from the serial port.
>
>...Michael

To extend this thread a little I'm interested in line (or internal
battery) powered portable modems with MNP 5 that are cheap (just think
of this as an SQL request!). We have heard a bit about the Danmark modem
but it has no MNP. I have heard mentioned that the Practical Periperals
Pocket Modem has MNP 5 and cost $99 (is this right?). Are there any others?

What modems do people recommend for laptop/palmtop use?

E-mail or post replies.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre |
Liverpool University   | The journey is the reward.

session@seq.uncwil.edu (Zack C. Sessions) (05/22/91)

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:

>Hello Zack,

>After I read your article about Damark's 2400 bps modem, I started coveting
>one instantly.  (I want to replace my vintage "real" Hayes 1200.)  When I
>called Damark, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  I ordered
>a catalog anyway; it should be here in 2 weeks.  I'm gonna use it with my
>HP95LX -- what a combination!

>Can you post the catalog number for the modem?

It appears that Damark may have sold out of the 2400 baud variety
of the miniature modems. The last several catalogs (I seem to get a new
one every few weeks or so) have the 2400 baud conspicuously absent
in the advert. The 1200 baud is still there, a real bargain at $29.95.
In case you may be interested in the 1200 baud, it's catalog number is
B-471-162401, S&H $6.00. This is out of the June 1991 catalog.
(page 31).

Zack Sessions
session@seq.uncwil.edu

session@seq.uncwil.edu (Zack C. Sessions) (05/22/91)

graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) writes:

>Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
>I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
>isn't available from the serial port.

This may be true, I am not discounting it, but the instruction "manual"
(read, a folded up piece of paper!) for my COM CALL 2400 which I got
from Damark states that it is "Truly line powered: no batteries or
A.C. required". This leads me to believe that it gets the power from
the Phone line, not from the serial port. Of course, I am no expert.

Zack Sessions
session@seq.uncwil.edu

chaplin@keinstr.uucp (chaplin) (05/23/91)

In article <9105142341.AA28570@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>Be careful about selecting a pocket modem for a palmtop computer.
>I've heard that the battery-less models don't work because the power
>isn't available from the serial port.
>
>...Michael

I have the 1200 baud modem from Damark.  It's powered from the phone line.
I would be surprised if the 2400 baud is not.
--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering | "There are two types of
chaplin@keinstr.uucp / CI$: 76307,3506           | people: those who divide