[comp.sys.laptops] Laptop decisions : How about the Leading Edge 386SX ?

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) (05/23/91)

A local discount club has a Leading Edge 386SX portable LCD system,  with VGA,
2 MB RAM,  40 MB HD,  3.5" floppy,  etc. for $1795.

Is this a good system?  Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Ted Drude (drudetb@ingr)

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (05/24/91)

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:

>A local discount club has a Leading Edge 386SX portable LCD system,  with VGA,
>2 MB RAM,  40 MB HD,  3.5" floppy,  etc. for $1795.
>Is this a good system?  Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

This seems to be the going price on this machine; a local "liquidation" store
is selling it a $1799.  The unit on display had a problem with low-level
screen flicker.  Look closely in good light.

phr@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (05/24/91)

1. I don't like the Leading Edge 386sx machine very much.  It is HUGE,
heavy, and (I've heard) can take only 2 meg of memory.

2. $1799 is not a good price.  Tredex (advertiser in computer shopper)
appears to be liquidating them for $1399.  The ad says they cannot
mention the mfgrs name, but it is obvious from the picture that it
is the Leading Edge (the triangular logo was showing in earlier
editions of the ad but has since disappeared).

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (05/25/91)

A word of warning about Tredex from Computer Shopper:  I ordered a 1200 baud
internal modem from them once from their ad in CS and when it arrived, my
VISA was charged an additional $39 on the $149 modem for handling charges.
I wasn't quite as upset when I opened the box and found a 2400 baud modem
instead that they were selling for $379 at the time.  I consider them a
pretty sloppy place to do business with as they wouldn't accept the 2400
baud modem since "that wasn't what they shipped me".

--
Jack Wiggins       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: jackw@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

mikeraz@techbook.com (Michael Rasmussen) (05/27/91)

I cannot recommend the machine for the following reasons:

1) The hinge connecting the screen to the case frequently breaks.
2) It is a heavy machine for its class
3) Very limited RAM expansion
4) High general failure rate
5) The screen, though bright at first, "wears out" quickly and becomes
   very hard to read
6) For nearly the same price there are better machines available.

I work in a computer store that is opening up a laptop specialty store,
fortunately I've gotten to compare over a dozen machines while we've figured
out what we are going to carry.  We will probably carry the Leading Edge for
those people who want the most processor for the buck.  It is not comfortable
for me when someone does choose one of these - and I do my best to persuade
them to go with another computer.

mikeraz@techbooks.rain.com
2 cents today and already I feel better