[comp.sys.laptops] AST deliveries and Dell comparisons

rdavis@convex.com (Ray Davis) (05/24/91)

Has anyone taken delivery of an AST notebook yet?  If so, please tell
me when you ordered, where, and how long it took.  I placed an order
via Sears in February and it still hasn't turned up.  I'm wondering
if this is Sears' problem or whether AST is having delivery problems.

Can anyone say something about the Dell notebook?  Or compare it to
the AST?  Dell delivery times?  Maybe I'll change my order.

Thanks!
Ray
___
Ray Davis
Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, West Germany
rdavis@convex.com, unido!connie!rdavis, uunet!convex!rdavis, +49-69-666-8081

tohaver@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Timothy J O'Haver) (05/24/91)

Ray,

I've had a look at a Dell laptop that another department is testing.

The build of it is a bit cheesy compared to the Compaq LTE, but I might
think the same about the AST, which is also scheduled to be tested.

Lead times on the Dells seem to fluctuate so it's probably best to call Dell
--
Tim O'Haver

tohaver@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

mikeraz@techbook.com (Michael Rasmussen) (05/27/91)

rdavis@convex.com (Ray Davis) writes:

>Has anyone taken delivery of an AST notebook yet?  If so, please tell
>me when you ordered, where, and how long it took.  I placed an order
>via Sears in February and it still hasn't turned up.  I'm wondering

This is an AST problem.  They are having a terrible time delivering
machines with no relief in sight.  They are also being very tight
lipped as to the reason why.  Customers of my store who ordered in
February are just now getting their computers.  With some 3 dozen machines
on backorder our May allotment was 5 computers.

Other than that it's a great notebook.

mikeraz@techbooks.rain.com
2 cents worth and I feel better already - a shrink should be so cost effective

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/28/91)

In <1991May24.152326.26029@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> tohaver@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Timothy J O'Haver) writes:

>Ray,

>I've had a look at a Dell laptop that another department is testing.
>The build of it is a bit cheesy compared to the Compaq LTE, but I might
>think the same about the AST, which is also scheduled to be tested.

Is that the laptop or the notebook ? The laptop isn't really comparing
like with like to the LTE. Take a look at the 212N or 320N - those are
the Dell notebooks.

>Lead times on the Dells seem to fluctuate so it's probably best to call Dell

Quite correct.

>--
>Tim O'Haver

>tohaver@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

tomm@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Tom Menten) (05/29/91)

Can anyone say something about the Dell notebook?  Or compare it to
the AST?  Dell delivery times?  Maybe I'll change my order.

    I've HEARD good things about DELL, and I'm pondering an order.
    A friend showed their top of the line laptop (I don't have the
    model next to me): it seemed like a nice functional unit, and
    is designed to be easily maintained (I'm told.)