[comp.sys.laptops] Some comments on the Leading Edge LT386SX

drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) (05/31/91)

I asked for comments on the Leading Edge LT386SX portable,  here are
some of the replies (thanks to those who responded):

From: johns@trident.datasys.swri.edu (Stephen Johns)
Subject: Leading Edge

I have one of the Leading Edge 386 laptops.  So far it has been great, I am
running Window 3.0 on it with no problem ( and I only have 1 meg ).
The screen is very readable and I hooked up a Compu-Add VGA monitor to it
with no problem.  It has a good keyboard.
Problems/Concerns:
    - No expansion slots and no game port, so no joystick.
    - As advertised the battery last 1hr.  This may or may not be important
      I use my system MOSTLY as a desktop so it doesn't really matter.

PS.  The reason they are selling so low ( so I've been told ) is that
Leading Edge filed Chapter 11 reorganization and dump some warehouses for
some quick cash.
From: Wayne Hayes <wayne@csri.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: Laptop decisions : How about the Leading Edge 386SX ?

It weighs about 13 lbs (5.2 kg).  I think that's definitely too heavy
when you can get a Zeos for only about $500 extra and it weighs less
than half that.
--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525
From: "Mickey Ferguson" <fergusom@scrvm1.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Leading Edge laptop

I assume you are talking about the LT386SX model.  For $1795, it's not a
bad price, but you should be aware of the new notebook computer coming
out from Leading Edge - the DLT386+.  For $2100, you get 6.9 lbs.
instead of 13, only 1 MB instead of 2 MB but expandable (at about $189
per 2 MB) up to a maximum of 5 MB instead of only 2 MB maximum fur the
LT386SX, the LCD display is sidelit instead of backlit (supposedly much
better, though I haven't seen the two to compare), and the DLT386+ LCD
screen is true VGA, while the LT386SX is not, though it is pretty good,
I'm told.  The DLT386+ comes with a 20 MB hard disk, and can also be
shipped with a 30 MB and a 60 MB (but I don't know how much more).  This
new model will be available early June, from what the sales rep at
Leading Edge and my local dealer tells me.

Mickey Ferguson
Rolm Systems
fergusom@scrvm1.vnet.ibm.com