[comp.sys.laptops] GRiD Compass 1101 Calendar

rs@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) (06/02/91)

I've got a GRiD Compass 1101 whose clock will not hold the date or
time.  It keeps changing to random bogus dates and times; sometimes
just filling those fields with garbage.  Given how old these machines
are, I kind of suspect the battery, but I can't find it.  I was able
to get the top back of the case off with a little effort, but I can't
figure out how to get it apart any further than that.  Any advice
would be welcome.

I understand that there used to be a mailing list:
GRiD@staller.spt.tek.com, but apparently spt is no longer a subdomain
of tek.com.  Anyone know what happened to this list?  How about archives from it?

                                        ---Rob

Robert E. Seastrom  -- rs@ai.mit.edu / rs@eddie.mit.edu / rs@SESTAK.BITNET
"The mouse button functions and [pie] menu layouts were designed to facilitate
gestural interaction, to simulate the feel of tweaking and poking at real live
data structures."  ---Don Hopkins

brian@king.csd.mot.com (06/02/91)

rs@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:

>I've got a GRiD Compass 1101 whose clock will not hold the date or
>time.  It keeps changing to random bogus dates and times; sometimes
>just filling those fields with garbage.  Given how old these machines
>are, I kind of suspect the battery, but I can't find it.  I was able
>to get the top back of the case off with a little effort, but I can't
>figure out how to get it apart any further than that.  Any advice
>would be welcome.

There's a battery buried deep inside these beasts, cheerfully soldered in
place.  Disassembly is quite a trick, but it is possible.

I have several Compass models, two of which have dead batteries.  I haven't
found a replacement, but I haven't been looking very hard either.  GRiD
wasn't very helpful when I called them -- they said "just bring it in
with $200 and we'll replace it".  Sure :-)

>I understand that there used to be a mailing list:
>GRiD@staller.spt.tek.com, but apparently spt is no longer a subdomain
>of tek.com.  Anyone know what happened to this list?  How about archives
>from it?

Wow, that was a long time ago!  The list didn't last very long.  Alas, I
missed out on it because I had just started working at a place with no
net connection at the time.  I'm not sure if anyone archived it.  If
someone out there did, I'm also interested.

By the way, if you're interested in any of six Compass models (three 1101's,
one 1129, two 1139's, and one 1101 basket case), three 2101 hard disks, one
2102 portable floppy drive, one GPIB ThinkJet printer, and/or oodles of GRiD
software in ROM or floppy, I'm preparing to have a sale.   I haven't quite
inventoried it all, but let me know if you're interested.  I'd let the whole
lot go for $1500 OBO.  Hey, it all cost close to $40,000 based on the 1984
price list!

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division