[comp.sys.laptops] Technical Presentation Software

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (06/04/91)

In article <10958@orca.wv.tek.com> andrew@frip.wv.tek.com writes:
>I spent a few evenings studying 386 notebook computers.  Here are the
>resulting notes.  ......
>
>Tandon:  an excellent machine in all respects except for the keyboard,
>which is reported to be more compact than usual, mushy, ...

Since I am not very critical on keyboard, I ordered and received the
Tandon 2 months ago.  In general I like it.  I plan to use it for
class teaching and technical presentations by connecting it to a
LCD pannel overhead projector.

   Can any body recommand a good technical presentation
   software, i.e., easy to use and good graphics and equations.

It has 60 MB hard disc and uses standard D rechargeable batteries,
very convenient. What I missed the most is that it has NO resume
mode.  In so  called sleep mode, it still draws 1.0 to 1.6 A and
the battery can still last only slightly over 3 hours, not much use.
Since I probably not use it on the road (in transition), so I can
live with it.  I like the expansion capability of Tandon, 16 M SIMM SRAM
at a quite reasonable price and expansion port.  The new Tandon Bio is
supposed to reduced the current drain (in sleep mode?).  I doubt that it
can change the machine to true resume or autoresume mode. we will see.

>Dell:  another excellent machine.  One serial port, one mouse port. ..

I believe it can only expand  to 5 MB and has no expansion port.  They
claimed June delivery.  Otherwise I might have order the Dell instead
of Tandon.