[comp.sys.laptops] kermit at 9600 baud

jameson@jade.uucp (Kevin Jameson) (05/31/91)

Our Everex Tempo LX (386 with 3M, 20Mb harddisk) keeps taking receive
overruns in kermit (version 2.3) vt52 terminal emulation mode when we
connect it to a sun workstation port at 9600.  At 4800 baud, the Tempo
quits beeping and will display all characters sent from the sun.  (In
file transfer mode, everything is fine.)

I find it hard to believe that a machine of this calibre has trouble
displaying characters at 9600 baud.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  What was the solution, if any?
Please post your answer so all can see.

Thanks

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Quimby Pipple) (06/01/91)

Yes, it should work, of course...the Everex is a fast machine, and
9600bps works fine on almost anything.

I can think of three things that might cause the problem:

Running MSKermit under Windows.  This works ok for file transfer,
and for interactive at 2400, but might drop at 9600.

Running the Everex in low speed mode.  You can check this by running
setup (ctl-alt-ins), and looking at the speed setting.

That MSKermit may be using BIOS serial I/O instead of direct hardware.
You can check this with kermit's status command, should be COM1, not
BIOS1.

As soon as I get a chance I'll try this on ours, and let you know
how it works out.  I don't think it's a video speed problem, as the
display seems to work fine with Windows and the video games I've
tried with it.

Quimby

--
quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (06/02/91)

I am running kermit on a T1000 connected to a Cisco box by a 9600 baud
line.  There is usually no difficulty with file transfer or ordinary
terminal operation.  Once in a while a character will be dropped when
vnews displays the contents of a newsgroup.  I have to be a little
careful if I try to paste something assembled in the Sidekick notepad
through to my host machine.  One line usually goes through with no
trouble, but 20 or 30 leads to a lot of beeping, although I do not
recall a serious loss of data.

My machine isn't particularly fast, but the serial port driver seems
to be able to compensate.
--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math ||   Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor
bumby@math.rutgers.edu       || P.O. Box 10971 New Brunswick, NJ08906-0971

jameson@jade.uucp (Kevin Jameson) (06/02/91)

Thank your for your comments on Everex LX MSKermit vt52 emulation at 9600 baud.

No, we were not running windows.  Yes, we were using COM1.
I doubt we were running in low speed mode (but I will check).

I'll watch for the results of your test on your Everex.

Kevin

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (06/03/91)

In article <Jun.1.19.34.23.1991.28589@math.rutgers.edu> bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) writes:
>I am running kermit on a T1000 connected to a Cisco box by a 9600 baud
>line.  There is usually no difficulty with file transfer or ordinary
>terminal operation.  Once in a while a character will be dropped when
>vnews displays the contents of a newsgroup.  I have to be a little
>careful if I try to paste something assembled in the Sidekick notepad
>through to my host machine.  One line usually goes through with no
>trouble, but 20 or 30 leads to a lot of beeping, although I do not
>recall a serious loss of data.

I also have been running my Toshiba T1000 on a serial line connected to a
Utek at 19200 baud, and I've had no problems with either Kermit or using
Telix.  I have not had any loss when viewing files on the screen either,
but that might be because of my direct port into the Utek.

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Quimby Pipple) (06/04/91)

Well, today I spent some time playing around with our new toy.  It's
an Everex Tempo LX, 386SX/20, 1 Meg, 60 Meg -- pretty similar to the
machine that was dropping characters.

I don't think the problem is with the Everex's ability to receive at
9600, as ours doesn't seem to have any trouble with receiving/displaying
text or file transfers at 38.4k with MSKermit.  (At 38.4k a file listing
scrolls by as a very fast blur.  No retries while transfering.)  It also
works interactively at 38.4k as a terminal into PCAnywhere with most DOS
applications.  I was able, however, to coax it into receive overuns
by running "split window" Word Perfect, through PCAnywhere, at 38.4.
Here's what happens:  MSKermit uses the BIOS to read the keyboard.  While
the keyboard interrupt is being serviced, and the display written to, the
buffer can overflow if the remote device sends several characters at once,
and the user types very quickly.  The work around seems to be to enable the
shadow RAM for BIOS and video RAM in setup.  (Note that you have to disable
the mapping of the 384k 'missing' memory, too.)  Most desktop 386's
has shadow RAM enabled as default, but in a notebook most people would
probably rather have the extra 384k instead of shadow RAM.

Hope this solves your connection problem, please let us know how it
works out.

Quimby

--
quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet

jameson@jade.uucp (Kevin Jameson) (06/04/91)

Thanks to Quimby Pipple for the trick -- our Tempo had the memory
relocation option *Enabled*.  It also had the bios and video ram shadow
options enabled.  We disabled relocation as was suggested, and met with
success.  When everything was working, the sun had 'ixon' enabled at 38400,
and kermit had flow control xon/xoff enabled at 38400, and the pc had
memory relocation off, bios and video ram shadowing enabled.  I also
stripped out any tsrs that looked like they might be sitting on the
timer interrupt.

Thanks to all who contributed.  What would we do without net help...