[comp.sys.laptops] NEC UltraLite serial port

it23026@coral.micro.umn.edu ( ???) (06/05/91)

I have a question about the serial port in the UltraLite pc, is the port compatible to the one for the Macintosh ? 'Cause I want to use the cable for my Macintosh and change it to IBM compatible serial port.

Thanks in advance

---
Pitt

brian@king.csd.mot.com (06/05/91)

it23026@coral.micro.umn.edu (       ???) writes:

>I have a question about the serial port in the UltraLite pc, is the port
>compatible to the one for the Macintosh ? 'Cause I want to use the cable
>for my Macintosh and change it to IBM compatible serial port.

I don't have a Mac, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't compatible at all.
The UltraLite serial port uses a 9-pin DIN connector.  Mac's use 8-pin DINs,
right?  Anyhow, I've included a few notes about the serial port on the
UltraLite below.

But first, a word from our sponsor :-):

    There's a mailing list, ultralite-list, for users of the original
    NEC UltraLite computers (the V30-based notebook computer with a 1MB
    or 2MB silicon hard disk, not the newer 286- and 386-based models).
    Topics include general information, tips, techniques, applications,
    experiences, and sources for hardware, software, accessories, and
    information.

    New subscribers will automatically receive digests of all previous
    messages from the List, at least until such time that it becomes
    unwieldy to do so.

    To subscribe or unsubscribe to the ultralite-list, send mail to
    ultralite-list-request@csd.mot.com.  At present, requests are
    handled by a human operator.  No particular format for request
    is required, but please make sure that your full name is included
    somewhere in the message or header.

And now, back to the serial port topic:

(1) The DB25<->DB9 adaptor which is supplied with the UltraLite is not wired
    the same way as a standard PC/XT<->PC/AT serial adaptor.  In addition to
    the DB9 end being female instead of male, the wiring is different.

    Here is the wiring:

        DB9  DB25
        ---  ----
         1     6
         2     2
         3     3
         4     6
         5     7
         6   8,20
         7     5
         8     4
         9    NC
         S    NC

  [S=sheild, NC=no connection]

(2) The UltraLite serial cable has the following wiring with and without the
    DB9 adaptor, referenced to the DIN connector:

      DIN DB25 DB9  Function
      --- ---- ---- --------
       a    7    5  signal ground
       b    8    6  carrier detect
       c   20    6  DTR
       d    3    3  receive data
       e    4    8  RTS
       f    5    7  CTS
       g    6   1,4 DSR
       h   22   NC  ring indicator
       i    2    2  transmit data
       S    S   NC  protective ground

      [S=sheild, NC=no connection]

    UltraLite DIN connector labels, as viewed from the pins:

           a  b c
          d e f g
            h i

Hope this helps,
--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

it23026@seahorse.micro.umn.edu ( ???) (06/06/91)

Thanks again.