[comp.sys.laptops] New products from RDI

caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) (05/31/91)

Today I received June's issue of the Sun Observer. It contains an article titled
"RDI's Sparc-based laptop: 8,500 orders already in".

The article ends in this way:

   As for the future, RDI, which employs 50 people, is looking ahead, a necessary direction to face in an industry that promises at most a one to two year window after the release of a new product. The company is building two ways: evolutionary, which is downsizing the laptop and going from monochrome to color; the other is revolutionary, which is not a laptop, notebook or desktop machine, Schrameck, said.

   RDI will announce a notebook and will show a color unit at Comdex. The company is also working on a new product to come out at Comdex, according to Schrameck. "It's our definition of where we think workstations will go in the future."

Anyone knows more?

Francesco Caserta

toddb@probe.EBay.Sun.COM (Todd Bernhard) (06/08/91)

In article <1991May30.235304.12866@athena.mit.edu> caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) writes:
>Today I received June's issue of the Sun Observer. It contains an article titled
>"RDI's Sparc-based laptop: 8,500 orders already in".

>Anyone knows more?
>
>Francesco Caserta

Here's some info....FYI, the laptop uses the SPARCstation IPC motherboard,
as opposed to designing their own motherboard.

---todd

(Wall Street Journal, November 7, 1990)

SMALL COMPUTER FIRM TO UNVEIL LAPTOP TO RUN SOFTWARE OF BIG MAKERS MACHINES

A small California start-up plans to add a new twist to the computer
wars with a jack-of-all-trades laptop mahcine that runs software for
machines made by Sun Microsystems Inc., Apple Computer Inc. and
International Business Mahcines Corp.

The company, Research, Development & Innovations Inc. of San Diego,
said it plans to display at the Comdex computer show next week a
8.5-pound battery-powered laptop computer that uses the Sparc chip, the
heart of Sun's popular workstations.  The machines will run Sun, IBM
and Apple software unaltered, said RDI president Rick Schrameck.

The RDI machine, a Sparc "clone" called the BriteLite, apparently
solves one of the biggest headaches of computer makers who are cloning
Sun's machines.  Sun and its backers want to eat into markets
traditionally served by personal computers but are hampered by
computer users' reluctance to discard huge libraries of software
written for IBM clones and Apple machines.

The machine is one of the first Sparc clones that Sun is counting on to
help make its chip a de facto standard in the quickly growing market
for workstations.  About a dozen other comptuer makers are expected to
show Sparc clones at the Comdex convention in Las Vegas.

BriteLite is especially unique in that it apparently will be the first
computer ever to contain software that allows it to mimic, or
"emulate," the Apple's Mahcintosh machines.  An Apple spokeswoman said
no non-Apple computer on the market runs Macintosh software, but she
added that Apple wasn't familiar with the new machine.  "The only way
they could do that is a jerry-rigged manner," said the spokeswoman.
"We cannot, nor can our third-party software vendors, verify if this is
a usable system for our customers."

The BriteLite will "absolutely run all Macintosh software" faster than
does the Macintosh SE, said Mr. Shcrameck, and will run MS-DOS software
at the same speed as a PC using Intel Corp.'s 80286 microporcessor.

The macines will be manufactured by TriGem Computer Inc., a major South
Korean PC maker that builds machines for Japan's Epson Corp. and owns a
minority interest in RDI.  The company said it will begin shipping the
machines, which will list for between $7,000 and $12,000, in December.
The machines will include eight megabytes of memory, a 100 megabyte disk
drive and a 13-inch monochrome screen.

SUBJECT:  WORLD'S FIRST BATTERY-POWERED, RISC-BASED LAPTOP COMPUTER DEBUTS
SOURCE:   Business Wire via First! (TM) of INDIVIDUAL, Inc.
DATE:     November 7, 1990

    SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The world's first battery-powered,
RISC-based laptop computer was announced Wednesday by TriGem Corp., the U.S.
subsidiary of Korea's largest computer manufacturer, and Research,
Development & Innovations Inc. (RDI), a privately held start-up company in
San Diego.

    The laptop will be shown for the first time at Fall COMDEX in Las Vegas,
TriGem booth 3008, South Hall, LVCC.

    Designed as the first ``go-anywhere'' computer for UNIX ``power users''
in engineering, science, finance and government, the workstation weighs only
8.5 lbs. including 8 Mb of RAM memory, 100-Mb hard drive and 13'' monochrome
screen with 1152x900 pixel resolution, and provides 2-6 hours of usage with
a 4-lb. battery.

    Based on the SPARC architecture developed by Sun Microsystems, the
laptop's RISC (reduced instruction set computer) processor uses more
streamlined computer instructions and faster operating speeds to deliver far
more processing power than the CISC (complex instruction set computer)
processors used in PCs and Macintosh computers.

    The laptop executes about 15.8 million instructions per second (MIPS) at
25 MHz, compared to about 5-6 MIPS for computers based on Intel's 386 chip
running at the same speed.

    The laptop also emulates CISC processors to run DOS software at the
speed of a 286 PC and Macintosh software faster than a Macintosh SE,
allowing users to migrate to RISC performance without sacrificing their PC
and Macintosh software investments.

    ``In today's international marketplace, companies like RDI and TriGem
can become very close partners, combining the best design, product
development and manufacturing technologies -- wherever they exist
worldwide,'' stated Young M. Kimm, chairman of TriGem Corp.

    ``Our new relationship is a perfect example of how TriGem will continue
to form new U.S. relationships with companies that need a true, custom
OEM.''

    According to Rick Schrameck, president and chief executive officer of
RDI, ``TriGem has a world-class UNIX team of its own, and its quality and
manufacturing teams worked as an extension of our own team to turn a very
advanced design into a high-quality, volume manufacturable computer.  Our
relationship enables RDI to be a world-class competitor.''

    The new laptop will be marketed by RDI on an OEM and distribution basis
as BriteLite and by TriGem on an OEM basis as SLT-100.  Pricing will vary
according to configuration, with list prices expected to range between
$7,000 and $12,000.  Initial shipments will begin in December 1990 with
volume production in the first quarter 1991.  A color model will be
introduced in 1991.

    Basic Specifications

    o Dimensions: 12x12x2.75''

    o Input devices: 83-key keyboard with 10 function keys, integrated
numeric keypad, integral mouse-like pointing device

    o Processor: 25- or 20-MHz L64801 SPARC integer processor by LSI Logic,
25- or 20-MHz L64802 floating-point processor by LSI Logic

    o Operating System:  Sun O/S 4.1, Sun View

    o Languages:  C, Fortran 77 VMS from RDI; C++, ADA, more from 3rd
parties

    o RAM Memory: 8 Mbexpandable to 16 Mb

    o Disk Storage: Available 100 and 120 MB hard disk drives

    o Floppy Disk: 3.5'', 1.44 Mb

    o I/O: Ethernet 9-pin D connector, external mouse port, 9-pin RS-232
port

    o Interfaces: Ethernet, Sbus, SCSI serial

    o Display: 13'' monochrome side-lit super-twist LCD with 1152x900 or
640x480 resolution, color available in 1991

    o Accessories: Sbus expansion slot, canvas carrying case, battery
charger, reserve battery, 2400 baud modem, fax modem, car adaptor

    Company Background

    Established in 1980, TriGem Computer was Korea's first computer
manufacturer and that country's largest dedicated computer company. TriGem
produced 500,000 microcomputers in calendar year 1989 and earned  $300
million in revenues.  The company's production capacity will  increase to a
million systems in 1991 to support a new TriGem product  line and new OEM
relationships with companies like RDI.     The U.S. subsidiary, TriGem Corp.
of Santa Clara, was founded in April 1989 to develop a line of 21 new
microcomputer and  telecommunications products for the U.S. market, to be
introduced at  COMDEX, and develop new custom OEM relationships.
Research, Development & Innovations Inc. of San Diego was founded  in
January 1989 by Rick Schrameck and David Hice to manufacture and  market the
BriteLite series of UNIX/SPARC-compatible, battery operated  laptop
workstations.

     -0-

        Note to Editors:  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
Macintosh is a registered trademark of Apple Computer Inc. 386 is a
trademark of Intel Corp.

--
Todd Bernhard, Sun Micro, US Field Mktg - Milpitas, CA
408-276-1542     toddb@Sun.COM      ....!sun!toddb

(Having the Right to be Wrong does NOT imply the Obligation.)