[comp.sys.laptops] T1000

bob@cs.su.oz (Bob Kummerfeld) (06/02/91)

I have an old Toshiba T1000 (512kb memory, 720kb floppy), bought several
years ago it is probably almost worthless now. I use it occasionally and
it's still useful so I don't want to junk it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the floppy drive to 1.4Meg
and increase the memory size? Any other upgrades available?

Bob.

Bob.

creasyg@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU (Glen L. Creasy) (06/04/91)

In article <2486@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> bob@cluster.cs.su.oz (Bob Kummerfeld) writes:
>I have an old Toshiba T1000 (512kb memory, 720kb floppy), bought several
>years ago it is probably almost worthless now. I use it occasionally and
>it's still useful so I don't want to junk it.
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the floppy drive to 1.4Meg
>and increase the memory size? Any other upgrades available?

I've had a T1000 for over 2 1/2 years, and while it's slow and large,
there's still nothing like it on the market (when are they going to make
us an 8088, 8"x11"x1", 3lb, DOS machine that has 4megs RAM and a 6 hour
battery life?  Who needs a 386 to tote around?)

I remember looking around in magazines soon after I got it, and I saw
a write up on a company that would install backlighting ($295) and a
battery upgrade ($80 -adds 4 oz.  Don't know how much the backlighting
adds).  'Course, for that kind of money.....:-)

The company is (was):
     Axonix Corp.
     2257 S. 1100 East St.  #2C
     Salt Lake City, UT  84106
     (801)466-9797

Have no idea if it's still around.

I've often thought of upgrades that I would like (DOS 3.3, 1.44 Mb drive,
etc.), but then I think, nahhhhh.  Why bother?  I really *would* like a
memory expansion card bigger than 768K, though.

-Glen -purveyor of useless information...

I can see myself running, but I'm standing still         -(Glen creasyg@
I can hear myself screaming, but there's no sound         bionette.cgrb.
When I wake up crying, life brings me down                orst.edu)
But it's not worth losing, until it's found      --The Fixx

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/04/91)

In article <2486@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> bob@cluster.cs.su.oz (Bob Kummerfeld) writes:
>I have an old Toshiba T1000 (512kb memory, 720kb floppy), bought several
>years ago it is probably almost worthless now. I use it occasionally and
>it's still useful so I don't want to junk it.
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the floppy drive to 1.4Meg
>and increase the memory size? Any other upgrades available?
>
>Bob.
>
>Bob.

The only two things Toshiba made for it were an internal modem (unique
to the T1000, not compatible with any other Toshiba modem slot), and
the 768K card.  This card has 768K of quasistatic RAM, which can be
configured as backfill up to 640K, expanded memory (EMS) or as a
nonvolitile RAM drive, or a mix of all three.  I found that not having
this memory to be quite painful.  My system is configured to have all
768K as a RAM drive, it's rather like have a rather small, but fast
hard drive.  I've seen the card for sale for about $250.

Other companies such as Megahertz also made internal modems for it.  Personally
I use a Novation Parrot 1200 pocket modem when I want to be portable.

A third party company had a backlight and battery upgrade.  I don't
remember offhand who offered it (Axonix?), I can dig it out of anyone
is interested.  The battery upgrade can be done by replacing the
batteries with larger ones from Radio Shark.  I've heard that they'll
last 14 hours.

It doesn't seem possible to upgrade any double density floppy controller
to high density, unfortunatly.  The next best thing would be to use
one of the various data compression programs.  Cubit and Stacker are
two that use a device driver to up to double storage transparently, these
are commercial. Pklite and xeq work on executables to decompress before
execution and are shareware.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun03.234250.17177@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> creasyg@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU (Glen L. Creasy) writes:

>I remember looking around in magazines soon after I got it, and I saw
>a write up on a company that would install backlighting ($295) and a
>battery upgrade ($80 -adds 4 oz.  Don't know how much the backlighting
>adds).  'Course, for that kind of money.....:-)
>
>The company is (was):
>     Axonix Corp.
>     2257 S. 1100 East St.  #2C
>     Salt Lake City, UT  84106
>     (801)466-9797
>
>Have no idea if it's still around.

Here's a recent number,800-866-9797.  They still make portable,
handheld hard drives at least.  A review of the backlight upgrade years
ago said that you had to send in your Toshiba, and they would use acid
to eat off the reflective backing and replace it with an
electroluminescent strip.  As a result the upgrade may not be perfect,
and as with most backlights of this type and age, the display almost
requires the backlight to be readable.

>I've often thought of upgrades that I would like (DOS 3.3, 1.44 Mb drive,
>etc.), but then I think, nahhhhh.  Why bother?  I really *would* like a
>memory expansion card bigger than 768K, though.

Toshiba does seem to sell MS-DOS 3.3 for the T1000, it will eat up
space on the hardRAMdrive (no ROM upgrade), so I've done without it.
It seems the way to upgrade to a 1.44MB drive and more RAM is to get a
T1000SE.  Although the batteries only last a couple hours, at least you
can stick in a fresh one when it runs down.  For the moment, I'll wait
until I can get a 386 for the same size and *price* :-), as my T1000.
When I was shopping for memory for other laptops, I asked about T1000
memory.  It seems that the T1000 is just too old, and too limited a
market to justify making a larger RAM card for it.  Considering the odd
size, I would expect that at least a 1MB RAM card could be built.  I'd
certainly be interested in buying one.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony