[comp.sys.laptops] connecting laptop to hard drive

Daniel_T_Ho@cup.portal.com (06/09/91)

How can you connect a laptop with a parallel port to an external hard
drive.  I have seen devices which convert a parallel port to an SCSI
port.  But what about drives other than SCSI?  In fact, can someone
tell me how to even connect to an external floppy drive?  Your response
is appreciated.

Daniel Ho

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/10/91)

In article <43109@cup.portal.com> Daniel_T_Ho@cup.portal.com writes:

>How can you connect a laptop with a parallel port to an external hard
>drive.  I have seen devices which convert a parallel port to an SCSI
>port.  But what about drives other than SCSI?  In fact, can someone
>tell me how to even connect to an external floppy drive?  Your response
>is appreciated.

Just about any storage device is available with a SCSI port, including
floppies.  There are even printers, and ethernet adapters with SCSI
interfaces.  The floppy question is a bit odd however, most MS-DOS
laptops have a external floppy port built in.  What machine do you have
that doesn't have one?

The parallel port SCSI interface is actually fairly new, parallel port
hard drives have been around a few years now.  Axonix is the only
company I know of offhand that sells them.  Give them a call on
800-485-6204.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony