[comp.sys.laptops] Frequently Asked Questions and Airplane travel with laptop...

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.173059.13476@ariel.unm.edu> fuka@spectre.unm.edu (Mary Fuka) writes:
>I'm sure this gets asked alot, but as a recent laptop purchaser about to
>go on their very first cross-continental business trip with laptop in tow,
>I'd appreciate some info on airplane travel with a laptop.  Mine is a

I've flown on Northwestern twice, each time I asked an attendant if I
could speak to the captain about using my laptop. Both were rather
suprised I even bothered to ask.  Getting past security was also
uneventful, they just wanted to see if the machine turned on in the
hand inspection.  I didn't want it put through x-ray inspection, but
several posters to this newsgroup have, and there were no problems.
Physicists have said here that x-rays shouldn't bother magnetic disks
and generally shouldn't bother battery backed RAM disks.

It seems we could really use a Frequenty Asked Questions list here.

How about:
	o Air travel with laptops
	o battery life programs and caring for NiCd battteries
	o file transfer and networking software
	o alternative power, (car battery, solar, squirrels)
	o portable hard drives
	o expansion slots, and alternatives (parallel/serial port devices)
	o small software suited for floppy based and RAM disk based machines
	o using Word Perfect et al on a single floppy.
	o mailing lists for specific machines (Atari Portfolio, Ultralite)

Please post or mail suggestions for information in these and other catagories.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony