[comp.sys.laptops] modem for Tandy 1100FD

tselling@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Teresa Selling) (06/22/91)

I have a Tandy 1100FD laptop.  It supports an internal modem, but Rad Shack
will charge me $199 for a 2400 baud modem for it.  Is there somewhere I can
find a cheaper one.  Also do I have to purchase a tandy specific laptop
modem...or will one for another brand work?  I would rather get an internal
modem for it rather than a pocket modem.  If anyone has any experience with
the 1100 FD, I'd appreciate your comments.

--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun22.030757.6966@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> tselling@peabody.iusb.indiana.edu (Teresa Selling) writes:
>I have a Tandy 1100FD laptop.  It supports an internal modem, but Rad Shack
>will charge me $199 for a 2400 baud modem for it.  Is there somewhere I can
>find a cheaper one.  Also do I have to purchase a tandy specific laptop
>modem...or will one for another brand work?  I would rather get an internal
>modem for it rather than a pocket modem.  If anyone has any experience with
>the 1100 FD, I'd appreciate your comments.

The modem is strictly a custom job. It's the same as the one for the
Panasonic CF150/B, but that's no surprise since they're the same
computer with different firmware. I have the Panasonic and bought the
Tandy modem when it was on sale for $129. Still pricey for a bare bones
2400, but it fits inside.

The modem is custom made and bears a Rixon copyright on the PC board.
I doubt you'll find a compatible clone; go for the pocket modem if
cost is more important than convenience.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE: