[comp.sys.laptops] NEC UltraLite Deal from DAK?

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (06/16/91)

DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?

NEC UltraLite 4.4 lb. Notebook Computer
	1-MB Silicon Hard Disk (That's right, one megabyte.)
	V30 CPU
	640K RAM, (456K ROM)
	Built-In 2400 Baud Modem & Cable
	AC Adapter & Charger
	Rechargable Battery Pack
	Laplink (ROM) with Cable
	Serial Port
	MS-DOS 3.3 (ROM)
	Microsoft Works 2.0 (ROM Card)

Thanks,
Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (06/16/91)

In article <Jun.15.17.42.32.1991.20746@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) writes:
>DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?
>
>NEC UltraLite 4.4 lb. Notebook Computer
>	1-MB Silicon Hard Disk (That's right, one megabyte.)
>	V30 CPU
>	640K RAM, (456K ROM)

	What's V30 CPU?  and What's this 456K ROM  for?

Xiao

brian@king.csd.mot.com (06/16/91)

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:

>In article <Jun.15.17.42.32.1991.20746@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) writes:
>>DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?
>>
>>NEC UltraLite 4.4 lb. Notebook Computer
>>	1-MB Silicon Hard Disk (That's right, one megabyte.)
>>	V30 CPU
>>	640K RAM, (456K ROM)

>	What's V30 CPU?  and What's this 456K ROM  for?

The V30 is an NEC workalike for the 8086.  The 456K ROM is used for MSDOS,
a DOS manager, and a setup utility.

brian@king.csd.mot.com (06/16/91)

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) writes:

>DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?

>NEC UltraLite 4.4 lb. Notebook Computer
>	[...]

It can be a really good deal, but it depends on what you want.
To get a wealth of information on the UltraLite, subscribe to
the UltraLite mailing list.  Send your subscription request to
ultralite-list-request@csd.mot.com.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (06/18/91)

From article <Jun.15.17.42.32.1991.20746@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, by bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon):
> DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?

I don't know about Ultralite, but DAK might be a problem.  If you have
ordered from DAK before (and received the goods satisfactorily), then
ignore the following.

I ordered something from DAK before ($100+), it did not come for
several weeks.  I complained and got my credit card credited back
with the same amount.  Did not loose anything (except time),
but it is frustrating.

brian@king.csd.mot.com (06/20/91)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:

>From article <Jun.15.17.42.32.1991.20746@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, by bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon):
>> DAK is advertising the following for $699. Is it a good deal?

>I don't know about Ultralite, but DAK might be a problem.  If you have
>ordered from DAK before (and received the goods satisfactorily), then
>ignore the following.

>I ordered something from DAK before ($100+), it did not come for
>several weeks.  I complained and got my credit card credited back
>with the same amount.  Did not loose anything (except time),
>but it is frustrating.

I've ordered tons of stuff and have only had one problem.  It's kind of
humorous, really:

I ordered a Lotus Agenda ROMcard along with my UltraLite, and received
a Lotus 1-2-3 ROMcard instead.  I called Customer Service the next day,
and was told that they'd ship me Agenda right away.  I asked for instructions
on how to return 1-2-3, and was told "oh, just keep it".  Nice!  Or so I
thought.

A week later, no Agenda.  I called back, and was told "Oh, the last person did
it all wrong.  I'll get Agenda sent to you right away."

A week later, no Agenda.  I called back, and was told "Yes, it's on order,
but I have no way of knowing when it will ship.  Wait a few more days."

I did.  No Agenda.  I called back, and was told "Oh, the last person did it
all wrong.  I'll get Agenda sent to you today."

A week later, no Agenda.  I called back, and was told "Oh, it's simple.  Just
send back 1-2-3 with the appropriate paperwork and I'll send you Agenda."
I explained all of the previous dealings and said that I would *not* send back
1-2-3, *and* I wanted Agenda.  "Can't do that.  It's an expensive package.
If I send you Agenda, I'll have to bill you for it *plus* the difference
between Agenda and 1-2-3" [1-2-3 was more expensive].

I asked for a supervisor.  After 30 minutes on hold, the supervisor said
"Can't do that", but understanding that I was pretty pissed off, she
recommended that I call the Corporate office and ask for "The Kaplan Desk"
[Drew A. Kaplan is the founder of DAK].

I called the Kaplan Desk the next day, and was told "Agenda is on it's way
now, and there is no need to send back 1-2-3.  Call back if it hasn't arrived
within two days".

Agenda arrived, free of charge.  A couple of days later, *another* copy of
Agenda arrived.  I waited for a week to see if any more copies arrived,
and then sent back the second copy.  I was sincerely tempted to try to
exchange it for WordPerfect or something like that :-), but aside from the
Customer Service screw-ups, they really had dealt with me fairly and so I did
the same and sent it back.  After all, they made good on the first Customer
Service representatives obvious blunder -- telling me that I could keep the
copy of 1-2-3.

Anyhow, the point is that DAK is a pretty good outfit and they'll deal with
you fairly, but some of the Customer Service folks could use a bit of training.
If you have to call them, get names and keep a log.  Don't wait for as many
weeks as I did before calling the Corporate office to get something resolved.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (06/24/91)

On the other hand, I ordered my UL from DAK, and it arrived, complete,
intact, and ready to roll, *much* sooner than promised; they told me
I'd have to wait a week to 10 days, but it showed up in 4-5 days.

They can, however, be a bit difficult to reach on the phone (hint:
you need an auto-repeating auto-dialer...), but when you get through
you talk to someone helpful.