[soc.couples] Microgravity Sex Redux

noe@sunc6.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe) (05/26/91)

Follow-ups redirected to sci.space.shuttle.

In a previous article I claimed that NASA's position regarding whether or
not a specific married couple, both astronauts, engaged in sexual activity
while together on the space shuttle would be "it's none of our business."

In article <19743@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>But the scientific data and its use on long space fights
>would be invalueable.

On the contrary, this "scientific data" would not be valuable, at least
not for the forseeable future.  Presently the only crewed U.S. space vehicle
is the shuttle, which is absolutely limited to less than two weeks on orbit.
I'm doubtful that NASA will be operating any longer duration crewed space
vehicles within the next 20 years, although there is still a slim possibility
of a continuously occupied space station toward the end of that time frame.

What did you have in mind?  Multigenerational voyages to the stars?  Not in
the next 100 years, most likely "never."  Until someone discovers warp drive
there's little purpose in it.

>Again the mechanics are important since a simple thing as a spilt
>glass of milk (I know there are glasses up there but I'm sure can
>imagine the situation) could waft droplets throughout the ship.

I think you overestimate the potential problems.  The mechanics of
sex underwater are difficult, but only because of breathing equipment
which tends to get in the way, and safety considerations peculiar to
the underwater environment.  The neutral buoyancy, which closely
resembles the microgravity environment, makes sex considerably easier
so far as mechanics are concerned.

Issues of containment of liquids are also not difficult to solve.
These issues are certainly not as complex or serious as those involving
human ingestion and elimination.  Certainly no formal "experimentation"
is required.

There are many more serious and challenging problems of human presence
in the microgravity environment.
--
Roger Noe                            roger-noe@uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science       noe@cs.uiuc.edu