[comp.unix.i386] Interactive

trb@ima.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) (03/10/89)

> I actually read William's article to imply that while uPort was going out of
> business (finally!), that Interactive was doing well and in fact had been
> purchased by a LARGE company with great capital resources.

Problem with vague statements and usenet and rumors is that different
people will interpret them in different ways.  You can't rely on people
interpreting things the sensible way.

Now, as for Karl Denninger's note about poor response on his troubles
with bad block handling in 386/ix 2.0, we in the Cambridge, MA office
of ISC (not the east coast office Karl refers to, which is, I believe,
our support office in Hollis, NH) are having problems with the bad
block support, and we are banging on the 386/ix hackers (in Santa
Monica) to fix it as well.  So, we know it's a bug.  If one of our
support people didn't realize it was a bug, give him a break.  Now he
knows.

My biased personal opinion follows:  I think 386/ix 2.0 is a really hot
system for the bucks.  Way fast, with X11r3 support for decent
monitors, networking, runs Xenix binaries, runs DOS applications
including Flight Simulator, etc.  It might still have nits, but we're
working on getting 'em out, and I think we have a broader base of
hardware and software options than any of our Sys V 386 competitors.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) (03/11/89)

In article <3445@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:

>My biased personal opinion follows:  I think 386/ix 2.0 is a really hot
>system for the bucks.  Way fast, with X11r3 support for decent
>monitors, networking, runs Xenix binaries, runs DOS applications
>including Flight Simulator, etc.  It might still have nits, but we're

What is 386/ix ?  Is it the new AIX from Locus or is it the other 386
UNIXl-like OS made by this other Santa Monica software developer whose
name I can't recall.

trb@haddock.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) (03/12/89)

Sorry to William Curtiss and you all for my snapping at him here - I
read his note in talk.rumors (which doesn't get all the 386 netnews),
and I hadn't been reading comp.unix.microport.  His grouping ISC in
with failing Microport seemed out of context in talk.rumors, whereas
both companies are commonly discussed in comp.unix.microport.  In that
sense, other folks might have been similarly confused in a similar
context.

In article <21589@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
> What is 386/ix ?  Is it the new AIX from Locus or is it the other 386
> UNIXl-like OS made by this other Santa Monica software developer whose
> name I can't recall.

386/ix is the UNIXl-like OS made by the other Santa Monica software
developer whose name you can't recall.  It is derived from the 386
UNIX reference port, which the other company produced for AT&T - the
reference port that is at the base of all AT&T Sys Vr3 386 UNIX
systems.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474