[comp.unix.i386] Problems with Everex tape

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/11/89)

I have an Everex 2/3 size Qic-36 60Mbyte streaming cartridge tape controller
and wangtek drive, working fine under miserable dos, but refusing to talk
to Unix System V 3.2.
I assume other people are using this combination, and would like to know
what settings they used to get it working.
I did install the cartridge tape utilities, but the new kernel can't access
the device.

Any help mostly appreciated.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/13/89)

In article <9032@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>I have an Everex 2/3 size Qic-36 60Mbyte streaming cartridge tape controller
>and wangtek drive, working fine under miserable dos, but refusing to talk
>to Unix System V 3.2.

Oops, got the wrong address set up. Tape is streaming happily now.
I recall messages about Everex tape controller/drive combinations not
streaming well (i.e. running very slowly despite providing buffering in
cpio and similar tricks) but I have no such problems. Of course Unix can't
keep up with the tape drive so the drive has to stop once in a while, but
making a backup goes very fast and is very convenient now.