[comp.unix.i386] Problems with Paradise VGA

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/11/89)

I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.
I have a Paradise VGA 16 card which works very well under miserable dos,
but when I boot Unix the screen goes blank and remains black all the time.
I can actually log on and perform a shutdown. I can also activate Simultask,
which displays some garbage in a CGA-like mode. Upon exit from Simultask
the system hangs.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Has anyone resolved it?

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (03/13/89)

In article <9031@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.
>I have a Paradise VGA 16 card which works very well under miserable dos,
>but when I boot Unix the screen goes blank and remains black all the time.
>I can actually log on and perform a shutdown. I can also activate Simultask,
>which displays some garbage in a CGA-like mode. Upon exit from Simultask
>the system hangs.

I've been told that you have to have a ``register compatible'' display
adapter for it to work under most of the non-Messy-DOS OS's.

I had similiar problems using a ATI EGA Wonder display adapter.  From
what I was told, DOS uses the BIOS on the card to emulate a real EGA
board.  Your UNIX probably knows nothing 'bout no steekin' BIOS ...

>Has anyone else seen this problem? Has anyone resolved it?

I sold mine for $50.  Obviously I never resolved the problem and
am now stuck with miserable hercules mode :-(

>Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Buy another PeeCee?
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "Give me your poor huddled masses,

tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) (03/13/89)

In article <9031@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.
>I have a Paradise VGA 16 card which works very well under miserable dos,
>but when I boot Unix the screen goes blank and remains black all the time.
>I can actually log on and perform a shutdown.

You need the VGA drivers for Release 3.2.  Did you install them?  If
you didn't, go back to your EGA or whatever you had in the Everex
before, get hold of the VGA driver install disks from your distributor,
install the drivers and rebuild the kernel; then put the VGA in and
bring 'er up.

Remember that when you install a new display adapter under DOS you
always use its new ROM at the same time, so DOS stays happy.  UNIX
doesn't use the ROM so it has to have new drivers whenever you add an
unfamiliar device.

>                                              I can also activate Simultask,
>which displays some garbage in a CGA-like mode. Upon exit from Simultask
>the system hangs.

Simul-Task provides a ROM image for your DOS process to use; this is
stored in a file called EGAROM or VGAROM respectively.  There is no
guarantee in general that the ROMfile AT&T provides will drive your
display adapter correctly.  I suggest you comment out the VGAROM like
in your 'vpix.cnf' to force Simul-Task to use the native VGAROM image
instead of from a file.

I also suspect there is a problem with the ROM buffer size on Simul-Task.
When I tried to save the ROM image from my new Paradise card to disk,
Simul-Task hung every time it tried to load it.  It was 32k.

--
Tom Neff                  tneff@well.UUCP
                       or tneff@dasys1.UUCP

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/13/89)

}
>I've been told that you have to have a ``register compatible'' display
}adapter for it to work under most of the non-Messy-DOS OS's.
}
I just heard from "reliable sources" that AT&T sVr3.2 does not support *any*
VGA adapter, but that one needs the update sVr3.2u, supporting both VGA and
systems with more than 16MB of memory.

Hope to be able to confirm this real soon...

hjespers@vpk4.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (03/14/89)

In article <9040@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <13593@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>}In article <9031@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>}>I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.

>I just heard from "reliable sources" that AT&T sVr3.2 does not support *any*
>VGA adapter, but that one needs the update sVr3.2u, supporting both VGA and
>systems with more than 16MB of memory.
>
>Hope to be able to confirm this real soon...

Consider it confirmed. Both VGA and systems with more than 16MB of memory
require AT&T SYS V Rel. 3.2A. An upgrade is available from AT&T for
approx. $50

Hans Jespersen                UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.                or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans
Toronto, Ontario              #include <std.disclaimer>

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (03/14/89)

I have a Paradise VGA Plus 16 in my box (intel mb, ISC ver/1.06)
I don't maintain the box, but it's configuration notebook
give no special jumper settings for the card.

I've seen display cards interact with networking cards, or
other things which overlap its memory.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/14/89)

In article <13593@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
}In article <9031@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
}>I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.
}>I have a Paradise VGA 16 card which works very well under miserable dos,
}>but when I boot Unix the screen goes blank and remains black all the time.

Thanks for all who replied.
What I needed was the sVr3.2 upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.
Works with my Paradise VGA 16 card.

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (03/14/89)

-
-I've been told that you have to have a ``register compatible'' display
-adapter for it to work under most of the non-Messy-DOS OS's.
-
-I had similiar problems using a ATI EGA Wonder display adapter.  From
-what I was told, DOS uses the BIOS on the card to emulate a real EGA
-board.  Your UNIX probably knows nothing 'bout no steekin' BIOS ...
-

I originally had a problem with the ATI EGA Wonder also.  I found out
from the people at uPort that it would not work in enhanced mode.  The
enhanced mode allows you to start in CGA emulation, and run an EGA or
HERC program and the card automagically changes to the correct mode.
Without this feature turned on, the card comes up in the mode set by
the switchs, and by God it stays there.  Your Paradise may have this
same type of operation available.  Check the posiible switch settings,
and see if you can find it.

		good luck,
		brian

robinson@ecsvax.UUCP (Gerard Robinson) (03/19/89)

I've seen the same problem with an ATI VGAWonder and 386/ix v.1.0.6.  Even
though I'd used the vsetup program (under DOS) to tell it that I wanted
vga with my multisync monitor, it would still give me the blank screen
syndrome.  It wasn't until I set the same parameters with the vconfig
(i.e. set both default *and* current parameters) program that things
functioned correctly.