[comp.unix.i386] Comparison of 386 Unixes

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (04/08/89)

To the 150 people who responded to my posting on 386 Unixes, and
to other interested parties:

This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
of the four major 386 Unixes.  "UNIX Today" is a freebie for
"qualified subscribers".

	UNIX Today
	600 Community Dr.
	Manhasset, NY 11030

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (04/08/89)

In article <4160@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>To the 150 people who responded to my posting on 386 Unixes, and
>to other interested parties:
>
>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
>of the four major 386 Unixes.

I wouldn't put much stock in the compiler benchmarks that were
run in that issue.  The tested hardware configuration had
mixed speed memory - some 16 and some 32 bit (gag!).  The
various compilers turned in a 3 to 1 variation in performance.

Apparently, it never occured to the author that where the
process landed in memory might have something to do with
the wild variation in results.

UNIX Today succeeded only in proving itself to be no
better than all the other free rags.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (04/09/89)

In article <717@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <4160@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
>>of the four major 386 Unixes.

>I wouldn't put much stock in the compiler benchmarks that were
>run in that issue.  The tested hardware configuration had
>mixed speed memory - some 16 and some 32 bit (gag!).  The

>Apparently, it never occured to the author that where the
>process landed in memory might have something to do with
>the wild variation in results.

>UNIX Today succeeded only in proving itself to be no
>better than all the other free rags.

Yes, I was very disappointed with that article. His results didn't jive with
my experience's at all. Also I'm not to sure I believed some of his facts
(like pricing).

I would say it was about the worst article I've seen in UNIX Today ever
(I've had a subscription since about the third or fourth issue). And in fact
it was probably the worst article of it's type I've seen in the last year.

UNIX Today had better stick to reporting Unix news (which they do seem
competent at) until they can find someone who knows how to do a better
job at reviewing systems and software.

Does anyone at UNIX Today care to comment?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

wcurtiss@x102c.harris-atd.com (Curtiss WC 67625) (04/10/89)

In article <4160@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>To the 150 people who responded to my posting on 386 Unixes, and
>to other interested parties:
>
>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
>of the four major 386 Unixes.  "UNIX Today" is a freebie for
>"qualified subscribers".
>
>	UNIX Today
>	600 Community Dr.
>	Manhasset, NY 11030
>

>   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
>   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
>   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.

After this, several other poster voice their disappointments with the above
article.  I don't think anyone has mentioned it before (if they have, I didn't
see it cross posted to comp.unix.microport), but the first issue of MIPS
(February 1989) had a comparision of SCO Xenix, Interactive Systems 386/ix,
Microport System V/386, and ENIX System V/386 (They couldn't get Bell
Technologies System V/386 Release 3.2 to successfully transfer to the hard
disks on their test systems).  They tested them on both a Dell System 310
and Everex 386/20.

They had plenty of benchmarks, and a seperate article discusses some of the
benchmarks that are used.

A one year subscription is $19.94 from:

	MIPS
	P.O. Box 51615
	Boulder, Colorado  80321-1615

I have no affiliation with MIPS Publishing.

Any comments on this article and the magazine as a whole?
William Curtiss         407/984-6383            |    "The only good martyr
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902               |         is a dead martyr."
Internet: wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com | - Standard disclamers apply -

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (04/11/89)

The February '89 issue (pg 84) of MIPS* contains a review of SCO Xenix,
Interactive Systems 386/ix, Microport System V/386 and ENIX system V/386.
They had trouble loading Bell Technologies System V/386 Rel 3.2, but review
it on a comparable basis in the March '89 issue (pg 81).  I found the
discussions useful in making my selection.

Dan

The usual disclaimer: I have no connection to any of these companies except
as a customer/subscriber.

Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

*The Magizine of Intellgent Personal Systems
MIPS Publishing, Inc.
400 Amherst S., Suite 202
Nashua, NH 03063

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) (04/14/89)

Quoth sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) in <2354@van-bc.UUCP>:
|In article <717@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
|>In article <4160@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
|>>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
|>>of the four major 386 Unixes.
|
|>I wouldn't put much stock in the compiler benchmarks that were
|>run in that issue.  The tested hardware configuration had
|>mixed speed memory - some 16 and some 32 bit (gag!).  The
|

|Yes, I was very disappointed with that article. His results didn't jive with
|my experience's at all. Also I'm not to sure I believed some of his facts
|(like pricing).

For a much better comparison, see the recent issue of MIPS
Magazine (April?  May?  I don't have it at hand...) wherein all
currently available 386 *NIXs are compared using a much more
consistent environment and test suite.

I like this magazine better with every issue... anyone who is
seriously involved with 80386 or better computing should be
reading it.

Standard Disclaimer: I buy my copy like everyone else, your
MIPS may vary.

--
    "Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,       |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth
           Bedlam boys are bonny,                   |  Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (04/15/89)

Just to follow up on the flames at UNIX Today's article ...
(talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth ... )

I didn't particularly agree with all of the points presented about
our UNIX, but I thought it was a pretty good article.  If you think
you can do better, get to it and crank out an article for the UNIX
magazines.

Every one of the journals is looking for qualified people to write
quality articles.  As one editor put it to me once, "There's just
not enough mediocrity to go around."  Put together an article
proposal, draft an outline, and send it to the editor for the
magazine for which you would like to write.

You'll discover that even superficial reviews take an immense amount
of care and time to accomplish, and that a review as relatively
detailed as that which UNIX Today ran takes weeks to do.

UNIX Today should be commended for actually taking the time to procure
and install each package and to actually run it.  If you want to
complain about "trash" reviews, save your time for some of the DOS
magazines that "review" products by re-writing vendor-supplied
press releases.  (Or save your flames for the net, where unlike
the free copy of UNIX Today, we get to pay phone charges to read
things we don't always agree with).

- Dimitri Rotow

rfg@riunite.ACA.MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) (04/15/89)

In article <9328@dasys1.UUCP> tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) writes:

>For a much better comparison, see the recent issue of MIPS
>Magazine (April?  May?  I don't have it at hand...) wherein all
>currently available 386 *NIXs are compared using a much more
>consistent environment and test suite.

I just received a reprint of the MIPS article today from the ENIX
people.  They are sending it out as a part of their marketing materials
to anyone who inquires about ENIX.

I'm not sure yet if this is really any better than the UNIX Today
article which has been bashed here recently.  Unless I'm mistaken
(which I may be because I only skimmed the article) I think that
the timing tests are all very suspect.  Why?  Well, it seems that
for some of the UNIX's, it was *faster* to *copy* a 50000 block
file than it was to just *read* it.  Does that make any sense to
anybody else?  Did I mis-read the article?  Sounds like smoke and
mirrors (and disk block caching interference) to me.

I think that if you are going to do reasonable
disk I/O speed tests that you have to somehow factor out any apparent
speed changes which arise from (a) disk block buffering/caching, or
(b) absolute locations of the particular blocks accessed (i.e. near
or far from the center of the platters), or (c) relative locations
of the particular blocks accessed (i.e. near or far from each other...
which can affect total seek time dramatically).

Perhaps the only totally fair way to run such a test is (a) always
perform the test immediately after booting to assure that the disk block
cache is effectively flushed (i.e. no blocks from the file to be
accessed are in the block buffer), and (b) do the read/write operations
on a second totally empty drive so that the locations of blocks
are the same for all tests (unless the particular OS being tested
uses a unique algorithim for allocating new blocks).  It would also
be a good idea to quote numbers when doing I/O both to a file on a
formatted drive with a filesystem on it *and* to a raw disk device.
I/O to/from a raw second drive, either reading and/or writting to/from
physical blocks 0 through N would probably tell you a lot more about
the true speed of the OS's disk I/O than anything else I can think
of.

--
// Ron Guilmette  -  MCC  -  Experimental Systems Kit Project
// 3500 West Balcones Center Drive,  Austin, TX  78759  -  (512)338-3740

tbetz@lilink.UUCP (Tom Betz) (04/15/89)

Quoth tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) in <9328@dasys1.UUCP>:

|For a much better comparison, see the recent issue of MIPS
|Magazine (April?  May?  I don't have it at hand...) wherein all
|currently available 386 *NIXs are compared using a much more
|consistent environment and test suite.

I checked, it was February.  With an Interactive test redone in
March or April.

|I like this magazine better with every issue... anyone who is
|seriously involved with 80386 or better computing should be
|reading it.
|
|Standard Disclaimer: I buy my copy like everyone else, your
|MIPS may vary.

This stands.

--
"Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,      |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth Ave.
 Bedlam boys are bonny, for they all go bare,  |    Yonkers, NY 10701-2509