[comp.unix.i386] ESDI vs SCSI

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (04/08/89)

I'm trying to decide between ESDI and SCSI.  I've heard a little of this
and a little of that without hearing anything that would really help me
make a decision.  I've been considering the DPT caching ESDI controller.
Needless to say, as soon as I said so, someone told me I should REALLY
be considering SCSI.  Can anyone out there educate me a bit?

Thanks.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
:  Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (04/08/89)

[Steven List]
# I'm trying to decide between ESDI and SCSI.  I've heard a little of this
# and a little of that without hearing anything that would really help me
# make a decision.  I've been considering the DPT caching ESDI controller.
# Needless to say, as soon as I said so, someone told me I should REALLY
# be considering SCSI.  Can anyone out there educate me a bit?

Oboy.  This is going to be a major flame fest, methinks.  It always is.

I have been extremely satisfied with ESDI.  The drive does bad-sector
maintainance -- allocating spares, keeping track of the bad ones, etc.
With a 1:1 track-buffering DMA controller and the 386/ix file system
implementation (SysV compatible media but better code in the kernel),
I think I'm bus-speed limited.  Since ESDI has good system management
goodies and is fast enough to not be the weak link in the system, it's
been my clear choice.  Some of the nicer CDC drives are available with
an ESDI interface, too.

SCSI, on the other hand, is potentially faster in synchronous mode, now
that decent SCSI controller chips are getting common.  And ALL of CDC's
big/fast drives are made available in SCSI before any other interface;
with SCSI becoming more common, the prices of SCSI drives are a little
bit more competitive than the prices of ESDI drives.  I see no reason NOT
to go with SCSI at this point, but it isn't enough better to get me to
switch on future systems -- I'm too comfortable with the tools at hand.
Eventually, the variance will get decisive.

If you aren't committed already, and you can find a dealer or a consultant
who will guarantee that the SCSI approach will work, jump in.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

in article <6628@mrspoc.UUCP>, itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) says:
> Can anyone out there educate me a bit?

I can't comment on ESDI vs SCSI. However, at work I have on my desk a
12.5 MHz 286 box using a 40MB Quantum SCSI drive with SCO XENIX 2.2.3.
I am the only one hooked to the machine (w/ 4MB RAM). The through
is just fine. One word of warning, since the kernel needs the SCSI
driver installed, you have to gen a kernel on a machine with a normal AT
drive and make a new N1 disk. I assume this is the same case for ESDI.

I've always been under the impression that ESDI is faster than SCSI. Or
is this a mistaken impression? I think I can safely say that SCSI is
cheaper then ESDI.

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D               ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!jhl
2367 Science Parkway                   ...uunet!frith!jhl
Okemos, MI, 48864                Home: ...uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (04/11/89)

in article <mumble>, John Lawitzke writes:
 [... deleted ... ]
 One word of warning, since the kernel needs the SCSI
driver installed, you have to gen a kernel on a machine with a normal AT
drive and make a new N1 disk. I assume this is the same case for ESDI.

-----------
The new version of SCO XENIX named 2.3.2 GT is now available and
has SCSI, ESDI, and "ST-506" drivers all included.

- Dion L Johnson

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (04/12/89)

	Don't know if anyone had followed this up, but my experience with
ESDI/SCSI drives leads me to believe that ESDI drives are faster.

	First off you have limiting factors in bus transfer speed.  On an
AT bus I believe this is something like around 4-5 Meg/sec.  Neither of
these drives comes close.  The limiting factor from what I have seen is
interleave, # sectors/track and (rarely) spin rate.  The spin rate is
almost always 3600 RPM or 60 RPS.  Using this one can quickly see the
maximum sustained xfer rate for a drive with 17 or 34 sectors per track
(512 bytes/sec * # secs/trac * 60 RPS)  = 522K/sec max for standard MFM
and 1044K/sec max for standard ESDI.  I haven't seen any standards on how
many secs/track the SCSI drives have (in the small form factors), but
the transfer rates were about 3/4 to '=' the ESDI's we evaluated.  Also, SCSI
controllers have *in the past* typically had about a 2-3 millisecond
processing delay added on to commands because of the drives greater
intelligence.

	The synchronous transfer rate for SCSI is meaningless if it can't
get it off the disk.  Of course if the SCSI controller has an on
controller cache of some reasonable size, and perhaps a track read
ahead then you might get better performance...

-wat-

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/12/89)

In article <2422@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

> I can't comment on ESDI vs SCSI. However, at work I have on my desk a
> 12.5 MHz 286 box using a 40MB Quantum SCSI drive with SCO XENIX 2.2.3.
> I am the only one hooked to the machine (w/ 4MB RAM). The through
> is just fine. One word of warning, since the kernel needs the SCSI
> driver installed, you have to gen a kernel on a machine with a normal AT
> drive and make a new N1 disk. I assume this is the same case for ESDI.

Most ESDI controllers are willing to look like a regular Western Digital
interface to the AT bus.  Therefore you can use the ST506 driver with an
ESDI controller.  SCSI, however, does require a different driver.  SCO
offers one - if you buy 386 XENIX you need 386-GT instead of 386-AT.
I just found this out today.  They seem a little confused internally about
it as well.

> I've always been under the impression that ESDI is faster than SCSI. Or
> is this a mistaken impression? I think I can safely say that SCSI is
> cheaper then ESDI.

I am running ESDI drives on a 386 system running ENIX.  It is fast.  On
the other hand I have a friend running SCSI drives on Rat Shit XENIX.  It
os probably faster.  The reason is that the SCSI driver is smarter as is
the SCSI controller.

As for price, I found 100MB ESDI drives for $525 each.  That is what I
call cheap but the deal is long gone.  The prices seem to be about
equivalent.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (04/12/89)

In article <98520@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>	Don't know if anyone had followed this up, but my experience with
>ESDI/SCSI drives leads me to believe that ESDI drives are faster.
>
>	First off you have limiting factors in bus transfer speed.  On an
>AT bus I believe this is something like around 4-5 Meg/sec.

Try 0.5 Mbytes/sec, not 5.  The DMA controller on the AT takes a long
time getting on and off the bus.  At least one company makes a SCSI
controller for the AT that includes its own DMA controller that does
burst transfers and thus runs closer to the speeds you mentioned.

>Neither of
>these drives comes close.  The limiting factor from what I have seen is
>interleave, # sectors/track and (rarely) spin rate.  The spin rate is
>almost always 3600 RPM or 60 RPS.  Using this one can quickly see the
>maximum sustained xfer rate for a drive with 17 or 34 sectors per track
>(512 bytes/sec * # secs/trac * 60 RPS)  = 522K/sec max for standard MFM
>and 1044K/sec max for standard ESDI.

The CDC Wren V drives we've used here can (with 64K requests) sustain about
1.2 Mbytes/sec.  That's on a 20 Mhz. 386 AT.  The ESDI drives with WD
controllers only do about 600K/sec.   Intelligent SCSI drives support a
variable number of sectors per track, so one gets more out of the drive.
They also do automatic bad block remapping.  Many have integral RAM
caches.

Another big plus with SCSI is the ability to connect up to seven devices
to one controller.  Granted, this might be sort-of insane, but it can
be done.  One can go out and buy a SCSI cassette streamer for well
under $1000 and backup 150meg of disk on one cassette.  One can also
get 9-track full size reel-to-reel SCSI drives for about $4000.

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (04/13/89)

In article <5436@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
>In article <98520@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>>	Don't know if anyone had followed this up, but my experience with
>>ESDI/SCSI drives leads me to believe that ESDI drives are faster.
>>
>>	First off you have limiting factors in bus transfer speed.  On an
>>AT bus I believe this is something like around 4-5 Meg/sec.
>
>Try 0.5 Mbytes/sec, not 5.  The DMA controller on the AT takes a long
>time getting on and off the bus.  At least one company makes a SCSI
>controller for the AT that includes its own DMA controller that does
>burst transfers and thus runs closer to the speeds you mentioned.
>
>The CDC Wren V drives we've used here can (with 64K requests) sustain about
>1.2 Mbytes/sec.  That's on a 20 Mhz. 386 AT.  The ESDI drives with WD
>controllers only do about 600K/sec.   Intelligent SCSI drives support a
>variable number of sectors per track, so one gets more out of the drive.
>They also do automatic bad block remapping.  Many have integral RAM
>caches.
>
>Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems

--
1)  I said bus transfer speed.  Not DMA.  I don't know if the DMA speed
is different.

2) Can you explain how bot the ESDI and SCSI drives you mention (1.2M/s and
.6M/s) are faster than the maximum DMA rate you claim?

3) Last time I looked at the AT bios it didn't use DMA in the disk
routines.  So it really isn't a factor.

4) You're right.  The WD ESDI controller sucks.  It seems to usually
miss tracks and give a transfer rate closer to that of a 2:1 interleave
drive than a 1:1.  The Adaptek controller I have has been measured at
slightly over 1M/s xfer rate raw, and over 800K/sec through DOS.

5) As for SCSI controllers supporting variable number of sectors per track,
that is only in the interface presented to the user (computer).  Since
the SCSI controllers have intelligence in them, they can remap the physical
sectors in whatever fashion they choose.  This does not change the
actual physical number of sectors/track, the spin rate, nor the final
maximum transfer rate.  We evaluated a couple SCSI drives at my last
job, and several of them could present 63 sectors/track to the BIOS so that
DOS could use disks that had > 1023 tracks (the BIOS doesn't support
more than 1023 tracks or greater than 63 sectors/track).  Presenting 63
sectors per track didn't physically change the media to allow greater
sector packing.  The transfer rate was the same as at the lower
sectors per track (around 30 something...I believe).

6) Yes, it is useful to have the SCSI port if you have a need or use
for it.  But most people don't.  I had a friend who gave that same
argument, but because he had no SCSI devices to hook up, and because the
SCSI drives were uniformly slower in seek time (around 2-3 ms) (xfer
rate was about the same), and because the drives were uniformly more
expensive, he went with an ESDI.  At the time he was shopping, the SCSI
drives were running about 33% more than equivalent capacity ESDI's.

7) Be careful about how you measure disk xfer speed.  I have seen 'coretest'
be totally fooled by one controller that kept an on board cache into believing
it could xfer over 5Meg/sec on a 386.  Some tests also seem to be less
than reliable on ESDI drives because it is apparently common or standard
to include a track buffer.

hjespers@vpk4.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (04/14/89)

In article <5436@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:

>Another big plus with SCSI is the ability to connect up to seven devices
>to one controller.  Granted, this might be sort-of insane, but it can
>be done.

Not to mention that each of the seven devices can be SCSI<->ESDI
bridge controllers, handling four ESDI drives. Thus one SCSI
controller can handle 7 * 4 = 28 drives. At 300 MB per drive
your looking at 8.4 GB of storage. I'm not even going to get
into multiple SCSI controllers.

Actually, the ability to attach seven devices isn't that insane.
Consider three 300 MB disks, one 125 MB cartridge tape, one 6250 bpi
9 track streaming tape, and your left with only two taps for
your Optical Disk and SCSI <-> MIDI interface. ;-)

--
Hans Jespersen                UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.                or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans

"Yabba Dabba Doo" -- F. Flintstone

rickf@uts.amdahl.com (Rick Francis) (04/14/89)

In article <98520@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>	Don't know if anyone had followed this up, but my experience with
>ESDI/SCSI drives leads me to believe that ESDI drives are faster.
>
>	First off you have limiting factors in bus transfer speed.  On an
>AT bus I believe this is something like around 4-5 Meg/sec.  Neither of
>these drives comes close.  The limiting factor from what I have seen is
>interleave, # sectors/track and (rarely) spin rate.  The spin rate is
>almost always 3600 RPM or 60 RPS.  Using this one can quickly see the
>maximum sustained xfer rate for a drive with 17 or 34 sectors per track
>(512 bytes/sec * # secs/trac * 60 RPS)  = 522K/sec max for standard MFM
>and 1044K/sec max for standard ESDI.  I haven't seen any standards on how
>many secs/track the SCSI drives have (in the small form factors), but
>the transfer rates were about 3/4 to '=' the ESDI's we evaluated.  Also, SCSI
>controllers have *in the past* typically had about a 2-3 millisecond
>processing delay added on to commands because of the drives greater
>intelligence.
>
>	The synchronous transfer rate for SCSI is meaningless if it can't
>get it off the disk.  Of course if the SCSI controller has an on
>controller cache of some reasonable size, and perhaps a track read
>ahead then you might get better performance...
>
>-wat-

ESDI probably is faster than SCSI for a _single_ drive. But since
SCSI drives each have their own controller, a multiple drive SCSI
system can have better overall throughput than a multiple drive/one
controller ESDI system.  The SCSI bus is capable of "dynamic reconnect."
A host can issue a read request to one drive, disconnect from that
drive and issue a request to other drives.  When the first drive
has read the requested sector, it can reconnect to the host and
transfer the data at full SCSI-bus speed.  This transfer is not
limited by the rotational speed of the disk since the disk's controller
already has the data in its buffer.

The time required to process any given I/O request will be slower
for SCSI because of the buffering of data in the controller, but the
total number of requests processed per second can be much greater
for SCSI than for ESDI.  Of course it depends on how well the I/O
load is distributed across the disks, and how well the driver is written.

Rick Francis                        rickf@uts.amdahl.com
Amdahl Corp.             {decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!rickf
  [Amdahl's opinions are expressed by Amdahl, not me.]

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (04/14/89)

In article <18iMUeeCE3101061nHI@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rickf@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Rick Francis) writes:
>for SCSI than for ESDI.  Of course it depends on how well the I/O
>load is distributed across the disks, and how well the driver is written.
										^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Rick Francis                        rickf@uts.amdahl.com

----

	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive (has this
changed now?).

-wat-

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (04/14/89)

In article <98994@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>In article <18iMUeeCE3101061nHI@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rickf@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Rick Francis) writes:
>>for SCSI than for ESDI.  Of course it depends on how well the I/O
>>load is distributed across the disks, and how well the driver is written.
>	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
>usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
>were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive ...

I am about to purchase a new 386AT machine, and I've been disturbed by this
too.  Unfortunately, you have to make this decision before you buy your
hardware.  I was considering Bell Tech's unix, but they do not have SCSI
drivers.  ENIX's literature says they have SCSI Hard disk drivers,
but do not list any SCSI boards in their list of supported controllers.

I plan on calling ENIX today to query them on this, and to call Bell Tech
again to see if I can get some kind of cooperation on this subject.  I will
post a followup (I can't call yet, 1000EDT=0700PDT) when I have more info.

Dan

Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (04/14/89)

In article <98835@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>1)  I said bus transfer speed.  Not DMA.  I don't know if the DMA speed
>is different.
>
>2) Can you explain how bot the ESDI and SCSI drives you mention (1.2M/s and
>.6M/s) are faster than the maximum DMA rate you claim?

I thought about that after I posted the note.  The SCSI drive, of course,
uses the interface I described which has its own DMA controller.  The
ESDI driver (which also does ST506) copies from the buffer on the
controller.  I stand corrected.  (Of course, DMA is preferrable in a
multi-tasking environment.)

>5) As for SCSI controllers supporting variable number of sectors per track,
>that is only in the interface presented to the user (computer).  Since
>the SCSI controllers have intelligence in them, they can remap the physical
>sectors in whatever fashion they choose.  This does not change the
>actual physical number of sectors/track, the spin rate, nor the final
>maximum transfer rate.

This is not correct.  The CDC Wren IV definitely varies the number of
sectors per track across the disk.  (I intuit that outer tracks have
more sectors, but I haven't had any coffee yet so I could be wrong.)
This is the big advantage of the drive over an ESDI drive: the Wren has
an average of 45 sectors per track.  Given a controller that can keep
up (ours does), the Wren will of necessity show a higher transfer rate
(not to mention the fact that the ESDI interface won't go faster than
10 megabits/sec, while asynchronous SCSI is 16 megabits/sec (the WD
33C93A SCSI chip actually does up to 2.5 megabytes/sec, which is 24
megabits/sec.)).

>7) Be careful about how you measure disk xfer speed.  I have seen 'coretest'
>be totally fooled by one controller that kept an on board cache into believing
>it could xfer over 5Meg/sec on a 386.  Some tests also seem to be less
>than reliable on ESDI drives because it is apparently common or standard
>to include a track buffer.

We're all well aware here of how bogus a lot of these figures can be.  I
think drive manufacturers get their transfer rates by issuing one command
to read a contiguous megabyte and timing it.  Although we do perform that
test, we also test reading/writing to a regular file (in a UNIX-ish file
system), reading/writing to a contiguous file (direct transfers from
user memory to/from the disk),  and reading/writing straight to the block
or raw disk (the block view of the disk goes through the disk cache in the
OS).  Modern SCSI disks have very low command overhead, so this is not
really an advantage of ESDI (with its own relatively complex command
setup).

Here's the beef: we can read from the Wren IV via SCSI at 1.4 megabytes per
second, and write at just over a megabyte per second.  ESDI drives don't
go that fast.  Of course, the Wren is rather expensive, but I can get
40 or 80 megabyte Quantum SCSI drives that are about as fast as fast as
any ESDI disk on the block, and the Quantums are cheap (and small and
very quiet).  I can also plug in a SCSI TEAC streaming cartiridge drive and
back up 150 megabytes on one cassette.  Or, I can plug in my Qualstar
reel-to-reel and read 1600 bpi GNU tapes.

I should of course add that these arguments may not apply to all SCSI
interfaces.  Our SCSI controller uses a WD 31C93A controller chip at
10 Mhz (16 Mhz for faster systems, like 25Mhz 386 machines) and a
bursting DMA controller.  Your performance may vary.  I really don't
know much about other PC SCSI controllers.

--

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/15/89)

In article <4725@vpk4.UUCP>, hjespers@vpk4.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:

> Actually, the ability to attach seven devices isn't that insane.
> Consider three 300 MB disks, one 125 MB cartridge tape, one 6250 bpi
> 9 track streaming tape, and your left with only two taps for
> your Optical Disk and SCSI <-> MIDI interface. ;-)

Don't forget the removeable cartridge hard drives that are available.  I have
a Syquest 44MB drive, and there is already a 100MB drive available.  I've
heard rumor of 150MB+ drives.  With that kind of capacity, and reliability
(no problem with any cartridge in 5 months of usage), these cartridge
drives could be an alternative to (generally) much slower tape drives.

But if you're going to put 300MB fixed drives on the bus, you'll need one
of the 2.2G 8mm tape drives, which are also available with SCSI
interfaces :-)
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

hznx@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (04/15/89)

In article <98994@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
>usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
>were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive (has this
>changed now?).

Talk to your controller vendor, not to your UNIX vendor.  As of 3/18/89,
at least Columbia Data Products, Inc (PO Box 2584,
Alamonte Springs, FL 32714; support (407) 869-6700; BBS (407) 862-4724) had
drivers for Western Digital's 7000-FASST SCSI controller.  Microport,
Interactive, Bell Tech, and XENIX drivers were all available for shipment.

As an aside, the FASST and FASST2 are excellent controllers.  Not too
expensive, live up to their names.

Dan Dulitz
Don't get angry at my mailer -- I am my mailer.

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (04/15/89)

In article <5436@lynx.UUCP>, m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
> In article <98520@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
> >	First off you have limiting factors in bus transfer speed.  On an
> >AT bus I believe this is something like around 4-5 Meg/sec.
>
> Try 0.5 Mbytes/sec, not 5.  The DMA controller on the AT takes a long
> time getting on and off the bus...

Keep trying.  Turnbow said the AT bus, not the DMA controller.  The bus is
a whole lot faster than 0.5 Mb/s.  Hard-disk transfers on AT-style machines
are traditionally done with programmed I/O, NOT with DMA (even in the
BIOS).  The disk controllers have sector buffers, since they have to do the
ECC before anything's ready anyway, so it's not like the PIO has to wait on
a disk.  The business of hand transfer off a disk is probably strange to a
lot of people coming from big-machine backgrounds--it certainly was to me,
escpecially when I found that the floppy *does* use DMA!  But it's not
really all that bad...I notice we're running ESDI 63-sector drives at 1:1.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.

In article <467@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM>, dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
> In article <98994@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
> >	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
> >usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
> >were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive ...
>
> I plan on calling ENIX today to query them on this, and to call Bell Tech
> again to see if I can get some kind of cooperation on this subject.  I will
> post a followup (I can't call yet, 1000EDT=0700PDT) when I have more info.

Well, it's not exactly UNIX, but I have heard from several people at SCO
that version 2.3GT is shipping in full product.  2.3GT has support (I've been
told) for SCSI, ESDI, and ST-506 controllers, and combinations thereof.  The
SCSI drivers in 2.2.4 (written by SCO, distributed by Tandy.  Let me know if
that's not right, Roy) are very good, so if the extensions in 2.3GT that will
allow up to seven devices are as good, 2.3GT should be great to have around.
I believe 2.3GT is even supposed to let one SCSI adapter talk to up to 7 other
SCSI adapters, each of which has 7 devices, for a total of 49 SCSI devices!!!
Now that's exciting!!!

-------------

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (04/16/89)

In article <98994@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
>usable for one of the Unix's?

A few weeks ago someone at uport told me that a SCSI driver
was in beta test and asked me if I wanted a copy.  Unfortunately,
I wasn't ready for it and said so.  I can't recall which controller
they were testing with (I might have it written down somewhere).

Mylex has a nifty SCSI board that sits on the 32-bit bus and,
in principal, should be faster than anyone else as a result.
They are working on unix drivers (using 386-ix as a testbed,
but expecting that the resulting driver may work with other
386 unix's as well).  The principal limit to such portability
will be globals shared with other drivers.  The clock driver
is the most likely culprit.  If system calls have been properly
used, perhaps we uport sites can get a SCSI driver without
being exposed to the dread floating point fault, etc.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk!norman
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (04/17/89)

In <98835@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) wrote:

> 3) Last time I looked at the AT bios it didn't use DMA in the disk
> routines.  So it really isn't a factor.

DMA isn't really an option.  Many (most?) hard disk controllers don't
even have the "fingers" on the card for the DMA lines.

> 5) As for SCSI controllers supporting variable number of sectors per
> track, that is only in the interface presented to the user (computer).

I had expected that someone would build a controller to present a
WD1010 interface to the CPU, but no one has.  All of the IDE drives
have user-definable geometry, so the technique is well known.  What
happens is that when the drive is initialized, the CPU sends the
geometry the CPU wants to the WD1010 registers.  The IDE drives looks
at the resultant capacity and sees if it fits.  If so, the IDE drive
just translates each incoming request into the underlying geometry.
The same could be done with SCSI except that the underlying geometry
would be in linear blocks.

This IDE remapping capability is why one needn't find exact drive-type
entries in the BIOS for IDE drives (though you loose some space if you
don't).  All you do is find an entry with the same (or less) net
capacity and just use it, without regard to the number of heads or
sectors.  The IDE drive will remap your choice into the real geometry.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
DCC Corporation     9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (04/19/89)

In article <15739@clover.ICO.ISC.COM>, I screwed up...
> ...I notice we're running ESDI 63-sector drives at 1:1.

63 is the "logical" number of sectors, which is a game in the controller to
get you around the 10-bit limit on number of cylinders.  (They fake a
higher number of heads and spt to get the cylinder count under 1024.)  The
disks are physically 34 spt.  They still do run 1:1 and they are pretty fast,
though.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/22/89)

Another thing to think about is SCSI-2.  SCSI-2 will have several
attractive features, such as a much higher data transfer rate,
and more intelligence on the drives.

For instance, SCSI-2 allows for command queueing in devices.  When
you send a device a queued command, the drive is allowed to place
the command in a queue.  There can be up to 256 commands queued.
The drive can then execute these commands in an optimal ordering.

SCSI-1 drives will work under SCSI-2, and SCSI-1 controllers will
be able to work with SCSI-2 peripherals with only software changes,
so if you chose SCSI-1 now, your peripheral will still work if you
decide to upgrade to SCSI-2 later.  With ESDI you may get stuck.

The extra command overhead of SCSI vs. ESDI is going away.  There
are SCSI controller chips that will soon be available that should
cut this down to the 200 to 300 microsecond range.

					Tim Smith

bakken@arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (04/23/89)

In article <17478@cup.portal.com>, ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
[ tells about SCSI-2]
> The extra command overhead of SCSI vs. ESDI is going away.  There
> are SCSI controller chips that will soon be available that should
> cut this down to the 200 to 300 microsecond range.
>
> 					Tim Smith

When will SCSI-2 peripherals (esp HDs and controllers) be readily
available?  And how will their costs compare with SCSI-1 and ESDI?
Thanks!

--
Dave Bakken
bakken@arizona.edu