[comp.unix.i386] AT&T 3.2 Update

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (05/04/89)

In article <2328@mace.cc.purdue.edu> cqj@mace.cc.purdue.edu (dunn) writes:
>In article <9928@wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP ( WB3FFV) writes:
>>In article <183@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>>> I missed capturing the details of the AT&T 3.2 update.  Could
>>> someone repost the relevant info?  I'd also be interested in
>>> details from anyone who's installed it.
>>

>>  If there is some type of update to AT&T V/386 Release 3.2 I also would
>>be very interested in hearing about it, so please post or Email any
>>information you might have!!
>
>From some memo, Appendix C:
>
>As of March 10, an Upgrade Plan is in place which allows you to upgrade
>your previous release of UNIX(tm) System V/386 Release 3.1 to Release 3.2
>for $195 for the Foundation Set and $165 for the Software Developement Set.
>SimulTask(tm) 386 Version 1.0 may also be upgraded to Version 2.0 for $195.
> . . .
>Throuygh this special sale, AT&T customers may also purchase the UNIX
>System V/386 Release 3.1 upgrade package (Release 3.1.1) or Release 3.2
>upgrade package (Release 3.2.1) at a price of $55.
>
>Appendix D:  This offer expires June 30, 1989.

First I've heard of the upgrade plans being extended, but it wouldn't
surprise me if they were.  Most of these upgrades are available from
AT&T National Parts (NPSC) at 1-800-222-PART so you might want to try
calling there.

Fixes...well we seem to be finding more things that it fixes everyday.
The things I know about are :
	o  you can DMA over 16 MB if you happen to have that much RAM
	   and devices/drivers that really use DMA
	o  you can run VGA on it (ie, you can't use VGA on any previous
	   release of AT&T 386 Unix)
	o  adds a console key-click feature
	o  fixes a problem with large capacity drives that use the WD
	   1007A controllers with translation (keeps the bad block
	   table from getting filled almost instantaneously)
	o  there's a new xt/layers driver so you can run simultask under
	   layers
	o  maybe others ???

The VGA comment shouldn't be construed as VGA support; X WIN and most
everything else still only runs in EGA modes.  Without 3.2u though, you
don't even get 80x25 text if you have a VGA card installed.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support