[comp.unix.i386] uucico for TB+ modem

edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) (05/15/89)

RE: SCO Xenix, Rev. 2.2.x Telebit modem problem at 19,200 baud.

  I have a Telebit 19200 baud modem that has been online for close
to a year now.  I'm very pleased with the modem except that I can't
get it running faster that 9600 baud on a dialout.  It appears that
SCO can't support 19200 baud.  I was told that they had a Telebit
patch, but after ordering it, I found that it supported the extra
Telebit commands, but not anything faster than 9600 baud.

  Has anyone else found a fix to get to 19200?  The fix would have
to be for the "/usr/lib/uucp/uucico" program.

  BTW: The port work fine for 19200 baud dial-ins, just not dial-outs.
For this reason, I just locked the modem at 9600 baud all of the time.
I know that SCO supposably has it working properly on HDB, however, I'm
not ready to upgrade past 2.2.x until the full version 3.x.x comes out.

Edward E. Wells Jr., President			    Voice: (215)-943-6061
Wells Computer Systems Corp., Box 343, Levittown, Pa. 19058
{dsinc,francis,hotps,lgnp1,mdi386,pebco}!wells!edw

kevin@iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) (05/16/89)

In article <48@wells.UUCP>, edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) writes:
> RE: SCO Xenix, Rev. 2.2.x Telebit modem problem at 19,200 baud.

is that '286 or '386 version of Xenix ??

>   Has anyone else found a fix to get to 19200?  The fix would have
> to be for the "/usr/lib/uucp/uucico" program.

I'm using Tandy Xenix/286 which is close to SCO Xenix 2.1-2.2 on the '286.
For dialouts, the uucico program opens the proper port, then executes
an external program called /usr/lib/uucp/dial which actually does the
dialing and setting of the port (parameter & baud rates).  So I modified
the dial progam (yes, source was included) to recognize the string
'19200' as a baud rate and to set the port to EXTA (which is 19200).

The telebit now dials out at 19200 or 9600 etc. and works perfectly.

(Actually, I was even allowed to add 19200P, since this argument is
passed as a string, and the dial program will set the Telebit in
PEP mode).

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin