[comp.unix.i386] AT&T Driver Development Guides... The Saga Continues.

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (05/16/89)

A while ago (beginning of April `89), Steve Nuchia asked about books
describing UNIX line disciplines to which Paul Hite responded with:

    Well Steve, I'll bet you've overlooked a book or two.  I  have the
    following two books which I obtained from AT&T:

    UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
    Development Guide  (select code 307-191)

    and its companion:

    UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
    Reference Manual  (select code 307-192)

    Both books are 8.5 by 11.  Together they are bigger than most phone books.
    They are pricey (about $150 for the pair as I remember) but they are worth
    it.

Steve Nuchia was unimpressed, and responded as follows:

    Eleven pages on line disciplines in a $75 book.  Wow.

    Seriously, thanks for the pointer.  AT+T seems determined to
    make their documentation just like every other vendor's; I suppose
    it is futile to resist.

    (Just like == massive, expensive, unstable, and inscrutible, in case
    that was too subtle for the lurkers.)

I, however, was willing to take whatever help I could get and called
up AT&T to try and order a pair.  They politely informed me that the
books were not yet available and that they didn't even have the price
for them in the computer.  They said to call back in May.  I then
posted a message asking Mr. Hite to divulge where he got his copies,
to which there was no response.

Now it is May, and I have again called AT&T.  The books are available,
and they cost US $200 and US $150 respectively!  (It seems Steve's
above response was prophetic, at least in terms of cost.)  Now my
question to Mr Hite is where he got his books for only US $75 each?

(For those with deep pockets, the books can be order from AT&T by
calling (800) 432-6600 or by sending a purchase order to AT&T, P.O.
Box 19901, Indianapolis, IN 46219.)
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860

raw@ushiva.UUCP (Roland Wilcher) (05/18/89)

In article <ADNAN.89May16091203@sgtech.UUCP> adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:

>(For those with deep pockets, the books can be order from AT&T by
>calling (800) 432-6600 or by sending a purchase order to AT&T, P.O.
>Box 19901, Indianapolis, IN 46219.)
>--
>Adnan Yaqub
>Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860
>...uunet!abvax!sgtech!adnan

A while back there was a flap about these manuals. For some reason, AT&T made
a mistake on the manuals prices. Calling the 800 Number I was quoted a price
of about $25.00  or so for BOTH . Naturally I ordered them and they arrived
in about 1 week. Since then AT&T seems to have discovered the blunder  and
raised the prices. They also added the correct price to the credit card
charge but were willing to remove the charge if a fuss was made. This was
just a lucky break it seems.

---
"If aint broke, don't fix it"                        raw@neologic%hal.crwu.edu
-Bert lance                                              raw@ushiva.ncoast.org
6203  Luther Cleve Oh. 44103                                 Roland A. Wilcher

rd@tarpit.UUCP (Bob Thrush x210) (05/19/89)

In article <ADNAN.89May16091203@sgtech.UUCP> adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
>   [ about trying to obtain ATT System V, Rel. 3 Driver documentation ]
>Now it is May, and I have again called AT&T.  The books are available,
>and they cost US $200 and US $150 respectively!  (It seems Steve's
>above response was prophetic, at least in terms of cost.)  Now my
>question to Mr Hite is where he got his books for only US $75 each?
>
>(For those with deep pockets, the books can be order from AT&T by
>calling (800) 432-6600 or by sending a purchase order to AT&T, P.O.
>Box 19901, Indianapolis, IN 46219.)

  Whoa!  I just got off the phone with AT&T (to followup my March 9,
1989 backorder of 307-191) and was told it would not be available
until June 1.  I also followed up on April 19 and was told that
a new batch would be in shortly and also that the previous batch had
been rejected by AT&T QC.  If you were able to get 307-191 from
available supplies, I would appreciate a confirmation so I can
load up both barrels and go after AT&T.  :-) :-)

  Evidently there are 57 other backlogged orders for this manual
according to the AT&T order service representative.

--
Bob Thrush                 UUCP: {rtmvax,ucf-cs}!tarpit!rd
Automation Intelligence,   1200 W. Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida 32804

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (05/23/89)

In article <2310@tarpit.UUCP> rd@tarpit.UUCP (Bob Thrush x210) writes:

     Whoa!  I just got off the phone with AT&T (to followup my March 9,
   1989 backorder of 307-191) and was told it would not be available
   until June 1.  I also followed up on April 19 and was told that
   a new batch would be in shortly and also that the previous batch had
   been rejected by AT&T QC.  If you were able to get 307-191 from
   available supplies, I would appreciate a confirmation so I can
   load up both barrels and go after AT&T.  :-) :-)

   --
   Bob Thrush                 UUCP: {rtmvax,ucf-cs}!tarpit!rd
   Automation Intelligence,   1200 W. Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida 32804

I must confess that I did not try to order the book from AT&T (The
price threw me off.), I just asked for the price and where to send the
purchase order.  However, the operator did leave me with the
impression that if I were to send in a PO, AT&T would send me the
book, i.e., she did say anything like, ``Sorry sir, that book is back
ordered.''