[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix vp/ix using com1 device with Arnet Smartport-8

grego@scruffy.SGI.COM (Greg Orsini) (05/17/89)

I have a problem running VP/ix and using COM1, although the same port
works fine under unix (386/ix).  All of the things I try on COM1 think
they are working, but nothing comes out the port.  I would appreciate
any comments anyone may have to direct me to the trouble.

Here is my setup:

386 AT-style clone using Intel Motherboard and WD disk controller.
4 meg ram
Monochrome display and card
Arnet Smartport-8

Interactive's 386/ix and VP/ix
Arnet Smartport driver

After installing the driver I got a lot of new devices, /dev/tty3a, b, c ...h
I am using /dev/tty3a.  If I 'cat' a file to tty3a, everythings OK.  I set
vpix/vpix.cnf:   COM1    /dev/tty3a.   This appears in the VP/ix menu (that
lists the drives as well).  When I copy a file to COM1, it takes 30 seconds
or so but nothing comes out of the port.  I tried the 'mode' command.  It seems
to work fine but doesn't help.

I call Interactive.  They said what I am doing should work.  "Do I want them to
look into it?" they ask.  Why not.  But I don't have high hopes.  They've said
this to me before without a call back.

Regards, Greg Orsini
(408) 476-5292
ucbvax!sgi.com!grego    grego@scruffy.sgi.com

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (05/17/89)

in article <32904@sgi.SGI.COM>, grego@scruffy.SGI.COM (Greg Orsini) says:

> I have a problem running VP/ix and using COM1, although the same port
> works fine under unix (386/ix).  All of the things I try on COM1 think
> they are working, but nothing comes out the port.  I would appreciate
> any comments anyone may have to direct me to the trouble.

My setup is similar, Everex 386/20, XENIX 2.2.3 (?), and Arnet dumb ports.
A medical program provided by the AMA won't dial out under VP/IX,
**UNLESS**
I use XENIX to talk to the modem first. (cu -s1200 mynumber)
After that, I can use the AMA package under VP/IX...

--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

lisbon@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Gerry Swetsky) (05/21/89)

In article <694@mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>in article <32904@sgi.SGI.COM>, grego@scruffy.SGI.COM (Greg Orsini) says:
>
>> I have a problem running VP/ix and using COM1, although the same port
>> works fine under unix (386/ix).  All of the things I try on COM1 think
>> they are working, but nothing comes out the port.  I would appreciate
>> any comments anyone may have to direct me to the trouble.
>
>My setup is similar, Everex 386/20, XENIX 2.2.3 (?), and Arnet dumb ports.
>A medical program provided by the AMA won't dial out under VP/IX,
>**UNLESS**
>I use XENIX to talk to the modem first. (cu -s1200 mynumber)
>After that, I can use the AMA package under VP/IX...

I wish this was my worst problem with 386/ix. It isn't, though I too
have the problem of not being able to access COM1 or COM2 through
vpix.

You want to know what my worst problem is with Interactive? They don't
give a d**n. No matter how serious your problem is all you get is con-
versation! I've had a system running at vpnet since about last November.
It hasn't worked right since day one, and even though I've been on the
phone weekly to them and written all the way to Eastman Kodak, I'm still
waiting for the promised software which will make my system useable.

Well, tell you something Interactive, and I know you're reading this,
if I don't have something in my hot little hands come Friday, I'm posting
the text of all my letters along with the description of all the problems
I've experienced.

COM1 I can handle - bad blocks I can't. Let's hear from a few more of
Interactive's unsatisfied customers.........

grego@scruffy.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) (05/23/89)

In article <694@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> in article <32904@sgi.SGI.COM>, grego@scruffy.SGI.COM (Greg Orsini) says:
>
> > I have a problem running VP/ix and using COM1, although the same port
> > works fine under unix (386/ix).
>
> My setup is similar, Everex 386/20, XENIX 2.2.3 (?), and Arnet dumb ports.
> A medical program provided by the AMA won't dial out under VP/IX,
> **UNLESS**
> I use XENIX to talk to the modem first. (cu -s1200 mynumber)
> After that, I can use the AMA package under VP/IX...

> Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

I tried cu but it couldn't find the device in Devices.  So I added it from
the sysadm login.  Now I can cu myself and it works great.  But, when I start
vpix, it gives me the 'unable to open serial port, hit Enter to continue' as
though someone else had the port in use.   ???

Anyone have any ideas???

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (05/24/89)

In article <33346@sgi.SGI.COM>, grego@scruffy.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) writes:
> vpix, it gives me the 'unable to open serial port, hit Enter to continue' as
> though someone else had the port in use.   ???

The Arnet Smartport driver must explicitly support VP/ix to be able to
use serial terminals under VP/ix.  Make sure that both you and Arnet
are using and supporting the same revision of VP/ix.

Also, in my configuration at least (all old versions of SCO Xenix,
VP/ix, and Comtrol Ultra 186 drivers), I could use smart serial ports
to login to VP/ix, but couldn't use them as COM1 ports under VP/ix.  I
don't know if this is a limitation in my particular driver or in VP/ix
itself.

Good luck!
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john