[comp.unix.i386] Motherboards

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/06/89)

I would like to purchase a 25 Mhz '386 motherboard.  The two that I
have seen advertised by name are the Mylex and the Micronics boards.
These two boards seem to be relatively expensive in comparison to some
complete 25 Mhz systems that are being sold.  I assume it is because
these boards have cache memory and most of the cheap 25 Mhz '386s do
not.

My question is, are either of these two boards worth what they cost
for running XENIX?  Would a cheaper motherboard without cache be
significantly slower?

Also, I would welcome any experiences with either of these boards that
you would be willing to share with me.  Please send me E-mail, and I will
summarize for the net.  Thanks for your time.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (06/17/89)

In article <652@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>I would like to purchase a 25 Mhz '386 motherboard.  The two that I
>have seen advertised by name are the Mylex and the Micronics boards.
>These two boards seem to be relatively expensive in comparison to some
>complete 25 Mhz systems that are being sold.  I assume it is because
>these boards have cache memory and most of the cheap 25 Mhz '386s do
>not.

Another candidate for comparison should be the 25 Mhz DTK, which
is advertised as having 64 to 256k of cache.  I called the one vendor
I'd seen advertise it, but the fellow there had no concept of the board's
capability, configuration, or availability.  If it works properly
(and DTK has, in general, been pretty solid) it should have the
advantage that kernel loops are more likely to be in cache.

How big does the cache have to be for ordinary unix 386 usage
to benefit?  Has anyone tried the DTK?
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk!norman
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840