[comp.unix.i386] Installing AIX

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/08/89)

I am trying to install AIX on a PS/2 model 80.  I installed
	Base O/S
	TCP/IP
	O/S Extensions
	Software Dev Toolkit
	DOS Merge
	DOS Server
	Asynch Terminal Emulation

All went fine, and surprisingly fast (~ 1 hour).
THEN I applied the "updates" disk to apply bug fixes.
It has you swap and re-swap and re-swap and re-insert and re-insert 3 disks
for a LONG time.  After all of this, it has applied its updates.  It then
displays:

	Rebuilding kernel.

<a bunch of archiving and unarchiving messages>

	Revoking updates to AIX Base Operating System

And un-applies its updates to the base O/S!

I have followed the update instructions TO THE LETTER.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  If so, what is the work-around?
My only guess at this point is to reformat the disk, and try:
	Install Base O/S
	Update Base O/S
	Install TCP/IP
	Update TCP/IP
	etc

Even if you don't KNOW the answer, I'd appreciate any GOOD GUESSES!
(I will call IBM in a couple of days, but it is now the weekend, and I have
a STRONG desire to finish this up SOON. :-)
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (07/10/89)

In article <343@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) wrote:
>I am trying to install AIX on a PS/2 model 80.  I installed

	[ the basic package ]

>All went fine, and surprisingly fast (~ 1 hour).
>THEN I applied the "updates" disk to apply bug fixes.
>It has you swap and re-swap and re-swap and re-insert and re-insert 3 disks
>for a LONG time.  After all of this, it has applied its updates.  It then
>displays:
>
>	Rebuilding kernel.
>
><a bunch of archiving and unarchiving messages>
>
>	Revoking updates to AIX Base Operating System
>
>And un-applies its updates to the base O/S!
>
>I have followed the update instructions TO THE LETTER.
>Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  If so, what is the work-around?

Yes, I've had the same problem (on an RT, though).  I complained to the
Defect Support Center about updatep.  They say they'll fix the
documentation.

To keep from having to swap diskettes forever (and remembering to ignore
the "Wrong diskette- expecting Diskette 1" message, even when you're
following instructions) use the `-b' flag to updatep.  This causes the
entire update set to be copied to your hard disk, and re-archives it
into a file that can be used to perform further updates.  To use `-b',
you must also use another flag, usually `-a'.  This applies the update
with one pass through the diskettes, and leaves behind a single file
that can be copied to other machines that need to be updated.

Warning: As updatep works now, you must have enough room in /tmp for a
complete copy of the update, and the same amount of room in /usr, too.
I had to mount bigger partitions on /tmp and /usr/lpp/update (I think
that's the name) to do a big update a couple of months ago.  `updatep
-b ...' unpacks the diskettes into a directory tree in /tmp, and then
uses `backup' to pack the update into a single file, which it leaves in
/usr/lpp.

I haven't looked yet, but my guess is that each batch of update diskettes
is a single `backup' archive, and that the whole thing could be copied
from diskettes with a `restore' followed by `backup' to put it into
the form expected by `updatep'.  I'd appreciate it if someone at IBM would
post the command sequence to do this.

As for the compile problems, look at the makefile in /usr/sys.  The
output of the `make' goes into a log file.  I had problems building a
kernel until I read the output, and saw that it didn't like the fact
that I hadn't configured a partition to take crash dumps.  I configured
in a zero-length partition for this purpose, and all was well.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish@forel.stanford.edu