[comp.unix.i386] How to speed up uucp with Telebits

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (07/14/89)

In following all this discussion about getting better throughput on
Telebit Trailblazers, I'd like to know:

How can I get a simple cheap 19,200 bps serial port on my 80386
running SCO Xenix 2.3.1?

The /etc/gettydef seems to allow only for operation to 9600.
Do I need special hardware?  I am using simple, dumb serial
cards (8250).

What do I need to modify in Xenix?

I have an Anvil Stallion mulitport board in my other (non-news) machine
and it solves the problem nicely, but what can I do on my news machine?

Regards, and thanks in advance to all who reply/post.

Macy Hallock                   fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
F M Systems                    hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
150 Highland Dr.               216-723-3000 ext 251 voice, office
Medina, OH 44256               216-722-3053 voice, home 19:00-23:00 EDT
New path under construction:   uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy  (Thanks JB!)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/14/89)

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:

>In following all this discussion about getting better throughput on
>Telebit Trailblazers, I'd like to know:

>How can I get a simple cheap 19,200 bps serial port on my 80386
>running SCO Xenix 2.3.1?

>The /etc/gettydef seems to allow only for operation to 9600.
>Do I need special hardware?  I am using simple, dumb serial
>cards (8250).

>What do I need to modify in Xenix?

Find the line in /etc/gettydefs which refers to the speed EXTA.  That is
19200 baud.   Make the change in /etc/ttys (for logins).  Make the
change in your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file (and possibly
/usr/lib/uucp/Systems) for uucp.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon