[comp.unix.i386] svbinmail for uport 386 3.0xx

rp@osc.COM (Rich Patterson) (07/18/89)

Hi,
    Does anybody have a copy of svbinmail.c from smail 2.5 that
    works with the new mailx and mail in uport 386 3.0xx.  I am assuming
    that since mail changed for Sys V release 3.x that someone has
    submitted a patch or source for svbinmail.  If someone has a copy
    could you e-mail it to me please.  THanks in advance.

Rich P.
rp@osc.com
{pacbell,amdcad}!osc!rp

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/20/89)

In article <418@osc.COM> rp@osc.COM (Rich Patterson) writes:
>Hi,
>    Does anybody have a copy of svbinmail.c from smail 2.5 that
>    works with the new mailx and mail in uport 386 3.0xx.  I am assuming
>    that since mail changed for Sys V release 3.x that someone has
>    submitted a patch or source for svbinmail.

I am not sure I understand the question. I am running smail 2.5 on my
V/386 3.0e system, compiled without change from the same C source file
that I used on my previous two systems, an AT clone running V/AT 2.4 and
an AT&T UNIX PC/3b1 running a hybrid SVR2.

Mailx does not even enter the picture when using smail, except to specify
"sendmail=/bin/smail" in your .mailrc file.

And looking at svbinmail.c, all it does is call either "/bin/lmail"
(which should be a link to your original /bin/mail) to read mail, or
"/bin/smail" to send mail. If you want it to call mailx, or elm, or
something else to read mail, you can change the READER define at the
beginning of the code. You probably should do that if you have linked
/bin/lmail to a program like Jon Zeeff's lmail.

But I cannot for the best of me find anything incompatible with SysVR3
in svbinmail.c.

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".