[comp.unix.i386] Terminfo for Interactive AT386

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (07/22/89)

In article <8950@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1989Jul13.172458.4455@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>
>[re: infocmp ]
>>(-I decompiles terminfo binaries into terminfo source, -C decompiles
>>terminfo binaries into termcap source.  Uses current TERM variable to
>>choose which terminal to dump, or <termname> to override.  Neat eh?)
>I thought terminfo binaries were supposed to be portable, even between
>older/newer versions.  There should be no need to decompile unless
>you want to modify it - perhaps to remove the "xt" capability from
>the AT386 entry so GNU emacs will do reverse video right.
>Les Mikesell

Actually, if the destination system is not an AT architecture machine
it's probably better to move the source.  Compiled TERMINFO files are
binary data, and if your destination machine has a different byte
ordering scheme they probably won't work on the destination machine.
For instance if you move a TERMINFO binary from a 6386 to a 3b2 it
won't work.  But if you move the source and recompile it with 'tic' it
will work.  In addition, if you move the source and recompile you will
get links to all the other terminal types on the first line of the
terminfo.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support