[comp.unix.i386] Mylex & Micronics MB's: which?

pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) (07/18/89)

Hello.
  Does anyone out there have any in-depth experience with either or both
of Mylex and Micronics 25MHz motherboards? I have heard that the Mylex
will not run Xenix. Does it have any other compatibility problems? What
about the Micronics?
  If you have any information on these MB's, please let me know, as I am
planning to buy one of them...

  Thanks much!

      - Paul

PAUL THIESSEN                     (Summer only: pt@lanl.gov)
pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet            ...uunet!jarthur!pthiesse

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (07/22/89)

From article <28269@beta.lanl.gov>, by pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen):
> Hello.
>   Does anyone out there have any in-depth experience with either or both
> of Mylex and Micronics 25MHz motherboards? I have heard that the Mylex
> will not run Xenix.

Why not just buy an AMI 386 motherboard and be done with it?

Clean design that works, with a real company behind it.

And lots of memory expansion room, lots of slots, a real BIOS,
etc.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (07/24/89)

In article <28269@beta.lanl.gov>, pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) writes:
>   Does anyone out there have any in-depth experience with either or both
> of Mylex and Micronics 25MHz motherboards? I have heard that the Mylex
> will not run Xenix. Does it have any other compatibility problems? What
> about the Micronics?
>   If you have any information on these MB's, please let me know, as I am
> planning to buy one of them...
>       - Paul

I have been running various flavors of MYLEX boards with XENIX.. But you
DO have to get the right gate array chip to avoid the cache problem with
smart IO boards or other direct shared memory boards..

Runs like a scalded bandit.. lots of users, lots of power...
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@wells tbit+