[comp.unix.i386] 60 MB Tapes

hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) (07/31/89)

In article <9705@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <2708@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
>>	Can I read a cartridge tape written on a 3B2/600 with my 6386's
>>	streaming tape unit (official AT&T issue) known as /dev/rmt/c0s0 ?
>>	Any suggestions on smoothing the way here ?  'cpio' seems like a
>>	likely candidate.
>
>Nope, I tried that. The 3B series use a different format.
>Tapes must be formatted first, and then one can create file systems on them
>or use a special cpio and such.

Are you sure about this? I think you are mixing up the 60 MB tapes with
the older 23 MB tapes ( from the 3B2/400 or XM ). To my knowledge the
23 MB tapes were the only cartridge tapes that needed to be formatted
ahead of time. I KNOW that I have written a 60 MB tape on a 3B2/600
and read it successfully on a 6386. In fact, it was the first thing I
tried once I got my hands on a tape drive for the 6386. ( this was using
cpio )

--
Hans Jespersen
hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (07/31/89)

In article <15521@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
}...
}I think you are mixing up the 60 MB tapes with
}the older 23 MB tapes ( from the 3B2/400 or XM ). To my knowledge the
}23 MB tapes were the only cartridge tapes that needed to be formatted
}ahead of time. I KNOW that I have written a 60 MB tape on a 3B2/600
}and read it successfully on a 6386. In fact, it was the first thing I
}tried once I got my hands on a tape drive for the 6386. ( this was using
}cpio )

Oops, our 3B2 is a 3B2/400 indeed, so it has the older 23MB tape drives.
Nice to hear that newer 3B's have compatible drives. (This doesn't help
us though since we have to live with an old 3B.)

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

In article <9711@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
[3b2 vs 386 tapes]
>Oops, our 3B2 is a 3B2/400 indeed, so it has the older 23MB tape drives.
>Nice to hear that newer 3B's have compatible drives. (This doesn't help
>us though since we have to live with an old 3B.)

The answer is to install network cards and link the machines via RFS.
Then you can use either tape drive to access either disk.  The only
problem then is that you need enough empty disk space to copy in
125M of data to fill the 386 tapes.

Les Mikesell

bud@sq.sq.com (Bud Greasley) (08/03/89)

In article <15521@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>In article <9705@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>>In article <2708@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
>>>	Can I read a cartridge tape written on a 3B2/600 with my 6386's
>>>	streaming tape unit (official AT&T issue) known as /dev/rmt/c0s0 ?
>>>	Any suggestions on smoothing the way here ?  'cpio' seems like a
>>>	likely candidate.
>>
>>Nope, I tried that. The 3B series use a different format.
>>Tapes must be formatted first, and then one can create file systems on them
>>or use a special cpio and such.
>
>Are you sure about this? I think you are mixing up the 60 MB tapes with
>the older 23 MB tapes ( from the 3B2/400 or XM ). To my knowledge the
>23 MB tapes were the only cartridge tapes that needed to be formatted
>ahead of time. I KNOW that I have written a 60 MB tape on a 3B2/600
>and read it successfully on a 6386. In fact, it was the first thing I
>tried once I got my hands on a tape drive for the 6386. ( this was using
>cpio )
>
>--
>Hans Jespersen
>hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu
>uunet!watmath!trillium!hjespersen

Carefull here! Unless you have patched the tape controller on your 6386
(Fix #81) with new ROMs, you will not be able to read 6386 written tapes
on your 3B2/{5,6,7,10}00, Sun, etc.

Bud Greasley
SoftQuad Inc.
bud@sq.com