daemon@decwrl.UUCP (11/21/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.auto
>From : WAFER::HERMAN

Subj: Security

	I recently purchased a 1984 Z28 and as I live in the Boston area,
considered it wise to install an alarm in the car.  I looked at many units
and settled on the UNGO Box (there are two models available, but I recommend
the top of the line).  I'm convinced that there is nothing, short of hiring
an armed guard, that can prevent one's car from being stolen by a professional,
the trick is to keep the amateurs away.
	The UNGO Box has both a motion detector and an entry detector (switch
at each door, the hood, and trunk).  The motion detector has adjustable
sensitivity and a switch that lets you select from high or low sensitivity
ranges.  Motion detection can be disabled before arming the alarm.  The alarm
can be set in two modes, passive, and manual.  In passive mode, the alarm
is armed as soon as you turn off the ignition, in manual mode, a button must
be pressed to arm the alarm.  In either case you have time to leave the car
before the alarm is armed.
	To disarm the alarm you have 10 seconds (this may be adjustable) to
get in the car and dial you combination (4 dial switches).  If you don't
disable the alarm in time, the alarm will sound and the ignition is cut out.
The horns for the alarm are not included with the unit so you can select
any tone or loudness you desire.
	The UNGO Box is also available with a battery backup system so that
if a would-be car thief cuts your battery cable first, the alarm will still
function.  It is also available with a pager, if you really want to be tied
to your car.
	It's not perfect, but its the best thing I have found on the market.
I don't think hood locks do anything for you, a friend of mine had his break
cable cut from under his car and the car towed away.  No need to look under
the hood to do that.

					/Will Herman/

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!wafer!herman

 End Forwarded Message