[comp.unix.i386] long file name bug

jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) (08/08/89)

In article <438@abel.UUCP> jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) writes:

> 	When I use the GNU Emacs command "run-input" (i) on the file
> Rec.humor.funn, emacs converts to Babyl format and shows me a bunch of
> jokes.  What it doesn't show me is that when it saves the Babyl format
> file, it has really just deleted the original.  Not even widening and
> doing a "save-buffer" or "write-file Rec.humor.funn" causes it to
> reappear.  It does reappear if I save under another name.
>
> 	Now, ~/News/Rec.humor.funn (the truncation is due to UNIX
> brain-damage 14 char filenames) is created by news2.11, supposedly in
> UNIX mbox format.  I generally move it to ~/Mail/Rec.humor.funn once
> it is in Babyl format, since I have had trouble letting anything but
> emacs write to an emacs rmail file (documentation notwithstanding).
> If I read ~/Mail/Rec.humor.funn, though, emacs deletes that as well.

	It turns out that running rmail on a file with name 14
characters long (where 14 is the max allowed) causes the bug.

	cp RMAIL abcdefghijklmnop
	[run rmail on abcdefghijklmnop, make some minor modification,
like adding a label, then save it.  abcdefghijklmnop won't be there anymore.]

-Jeff

--
Jeff Abrahamson			jma@abel.uucp, abel!jma@manta.pha.pa.us