[comp.unix.i386] Format of installpkg packages

bear@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Sjoholm) (07/15/89)

I am looking for a specification of the `installpkg` package
format used in System V release 3.2 (and maybe in other releases too).

The format seems to have a couple of files named Size, Install etc, and
nicely remembers installed packages and files so you can remove
the packages.

But what is the exact format or where can I find a definition?

Reply, by email and I will summarize if there is enough interest.

			/bear
--
Bjorn Sjoholm         UUCP: bear@kuling.uu.se (...!uunet!sunic!kuling!bear)
Uppsala, Sweden       Phone: +46 18 155097

stevel@hounix.UUCP (Steve Lancaster) (07/31/89)

In article <1050@kuling.UUCP>, bear@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Sjoholm) writes:
> I am looking for a specification of the `installpkg` package
> format used in System V release 3.2 (and maybe in other releases too).
>
>  [Stuff deleted]
>
> --
> Bjorn Sjoholm         UUCP: bear@kuling.uu.se (...!uunet!sunic!kuling!bear)
> Uppsala, Sweden       Phone: +46 18 155097

I'd like to know as well. Please summarize and post. Thanks.

debik@olivee.olivetti.com (Debi Kipping) (08/11/89)

In article <1050@kuling.UUCP>, bear@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Sjoholm) writes:
> I am looking for a specification of the `installpkg` package
> format used in System V release 3.2 (and maybe in other releases too).
>
> The format seems to have a couple of files named Size, Install etc, and
> nicely remembers installed packages and files so you can remove
> the packages.
>
> But what is the exact format or where can I find a definition?

Bjorn:

You can get all the information you need from a document from AT&T called
the _UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 Integrated Software Development Guide_.
It goes into all the nasty details of installpkg, removepkg, Size, Install,
Name, Remove, etc.  I have found it useful in the past.

Debi Kipping
debik@olivee.olivetti.com