[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix 2.0.1 + host based tcp/ip 1.1.1 + wd ethercard plus

jr@frog.UUCP (John Richardson) (08/15/89)

In article <295@dksoft.UUCP>, dirk@dksoft.UUCP (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
> luis@titan.rice.edu (Luis Soltero) writes:
>  >we hear on the grape vine that wd crads will do 400kbytes/sec transfers on
>  >a novel net, yet we are only getting about 80kbytes/sec on our unloaded
>  >386/20 machines running ISC 2.0.1 and ISC's host based tcp/ip.
>
> We have got the same configuration but the 3COM 501 board. If I use ftp
> with our Sony NWS1850 I get amazing 5Kbytes/sec transfer rate. Best of
> all is 386/ix to Sony gives 5Kbytes/sec, Sony to 386/ix 53Kbytes/sec !?
> Any idea ?
>
> cu,
> dirk@incom.de

   Yes, A bug in the FTP on one side in which they are using the net
stream unbuffered for the transfer. They are doing a getc/putc type thing
to a high level FILE *, and are causing a packet for each transfere.
By making sure it is block buffered, then the performance goes way up.
At least that was the bug in the CMC TCP/IP we ported to our system.

				JR