[comp.unix.i386] Anyone know what "Warning: hard disk unit 0: pdinfo invalid" means?

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (08/16/89)

The subject line says it all: does anyone know what "pdinfo" is and how
to validate it?  The message comes on during my Sys V/386 installation
process.

Thanks,
Clint
--
--

darryl@ism780c.isc.com (Darryl Richman) (08/17/89)

In article <13272@megaron.arizona.edu> cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
>The subject line says it all: does anyone know what "pdinfo" is and how
>to validate it?  The message comes on during my Sys V/386 installation
>process.

Not to worry.  A pdinfo (defined in vtoc.h) is a Physical Disk INFOrmation
block.  The driver is complaining that it can't find one, which is natural
if you haven't installed yet.  It appears inside of the UNIX fdisk partition
on V.3.2 systems, and in the first cylinder in V.3.0 systems.  It did say
WARNING, because this isn't necessarily an error.

		--Darryl Richman
--
Copyright (c) 1989 Darryl Richman    The views expressed are the author's alone
darryl@ism780c.isc.com 		      INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.-A Kodak Company

darcy@bbm.UUCP (D'Arcy Cain) (08/17/89)

In article <13272@megaron.arizona.edu>, cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

> The subject line says it all: does anyone know what "pdinfo" is and how
> to validate it?  The message comes on during my Sys V/386 installation
> process.

I noticed the same message while installing Everex ENIX (ESIX?).  Everex
tech support tells me that it is a normal message during inokitialization
and can be safely ignored.  I assume that it would be a problem if the
error showed up after initialization.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain
(darcy@bbm, darcy@telly.on.ca!cain)